Are you drained from scraping the payment together to pay your insurance bill each month? You’re in the same situation as the majority of other consumers in Maryland.
It’s easy to assume that auto insurance companies don’t want policyholders to compare prices from other companies. People who shop around for cheaper prices will most likely buy a different policy because there is a good probability of finding lower prices. Remarkably, a study showed that drivers who compared rates regularly saved $3,450 over four years compared to other drivers who never compared rates.
If finding the cheapest rates on auto insurance in Baltimore is your ultimate objective, then having some insight into the best way to compare auto insurance can make it easier to shop your coverage around. Insurance companies such as GEICO, Progressive and Allstate continually bombard you with catchy ads and it can be hard to sift through the bull and do the work needed to find the best deal.
It’s a good idea to take a look at other company’s rates periodically since insurance rates trend upward over time. If you had the best premium rates on Suzuki Grand Vitara insurance in Baltimore a couple years back you can probably find a better price now. Ignore everything you know about insurance because you’re about to learn how to use online quotes to get good coverage on Suzuki Grand Vitara insurance in Baltimore at a lower rate.
Cheaper rates on Suzuki Grand Vitara insurance in Baltimore with these ten insurance discounts
Insurance can be pricey, but discounts can save money and there are some available to reduce the price significantly. Certain discounts will be applied at quote time, but some discounts are required to be asked about before you will receive the discount. If you’re not getting every credit you deserve, you could be saving more on your insurance.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Buying insurance for multiple vehicles on the same insurance policy qualifies for this discount.
- Discount for Good Grades – Maintaining excellent grades can save 20 to 25%. The good student discount can last well after school through age 25.
- Accident Waiver – This isn’t a discount exactly, but some companies like Progressive, Allstate, and Liberty Mutual will let one accident slide without getting socked with a rate hike if you have no claims for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Theft Deterrent – Cars and trucks optioned with advanced anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency and that can save you a little bit as well.
- Distant Student Discount – Kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Baltimore and do not have access to a covered vehicle may be able to be covered for less.
- Active Service Discounts – Being deployed with a military unit could mean lower rates.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Having worked for a branch of the government could provide a small rate reduction depending on your company.
- Student Discount for Driver Training – Cut your cost by having your teen driver complete a driver education course as it can save substantially.
- Good Driver Discount – Drivers who avoid accidents can save up to 40% or more on their Baltimore auto insurance quote compared to accident prone drivers.
- Discount for New Cars – Insuring a vehicle that is new can save up to 30% because newer models keep occupants safer.
We need to note that most discounts do not apply to the whole policy. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like comprehensive or collision. Despite the appearance that all those discounts means the company will pay you, that’s just not realistic. Any qualifying discounts will bring down the cost of your policy.
The example below illustrates the difference between Suzuki Grand Vitara yearly insurance costs with and without policy discounts. The premium estimates are based on a male driver, no claims or violations, Maryland state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with multi-policy, safe-driver, claim-free, marriage, multi-car, and homeowner discounts applied.
A few of the larger companies and a selection of discounts are outlined below.
- Progressive has discounts for multi-policy, online quote discount, online signing, homeowner, and good student.
- AAA may include discounts for AAA membership discount, education and occupation, multi-policy, good student, and good driver.
- Farmers Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including mature driver, alternative fuel, early shopping, multi-car, and good student.
- GEICO may offer discounts for five-year accident-free, anti-lock brakes, military active duty, emergency military deployment, anti-theft, air bags, and daytime running lights.
- Esurance offers discounts including good student, anti-theft, online shopper, defensive driver, anti-lock brakes, online quote, and Pac-12 alumni.
- SAFECO includes discounts for accident prevention training, teen safety rewards, anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, safe driver, and drive less.
- State Farm may have discounts that include Drive Safe & Save, multiple policy, good driver, anti-theft, Steer Clear safe driver discount, and safe vehicle.
When getting a coverage quote, ask every company how many discounts you can get. Savings might not be available to policyholders in Baltimore. To see insurance companies with the best discounts in Baltimore, click here.
Cheapest Suzuki Grand Vitara insurance quotes in Baltimore, Maryland
The providers in the list below offer quotes in Baltimore, MD. In order to find cheap car insurance in Baltimore, MD, we recommend you click on several of them to get the most affordable price.
The data table shown next covers estimates of insurance rates for Suzuki Grand Vitara models. Understanding more about how policy premiums are formulated is important for making smart choices when choosing a car insurance company.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Grand Vitara 2WD||$304||$544||$458||$28||$138||$1,472||$123|
|Grand Vitara Premium 2WD||$304||$642||$458||$28||$138||$1,570||$131|
|Grand Vitara Premium 4WD||$304||$642||$458||$28||$138||$1,570||$131|
|Grand Vitara Limited 2WD||$304||$642||$458||$28||$138||$1,570||$131|
|Grand Vitara Special Edition 4WD||$304||$642||$458||$28||$138||$1,570||$131|
|Grand Vitara XSport 2WD||$304||$642||$458||$28||$138||$1,570||$131|
|Grand Vitara Limited 4WD||$340||$642||$458||$28||$138||$1,606||$134|
|Grand Vitara XSport 4WD||$340||$642||$458||$28||$138||$1,606||$134|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Prices above based on single male driver age 50, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $250 deductibles, and Maryland minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include multi-policy, multi-vehicle, claim-free, safe-driver, and homeowner. Estimates do not factor in zip code location which can alter auto insurance rates significantly.
Age, gender, and Suzuki Grand Vitara insurance
The chart below illustrates the difference between Suzuki Grand Vitara insurance rates for male and female drivers. The premiums assume no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, full coverage, $250 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are applied.
Full coverage or liability only
The illustration below visualizes the comparison of Suzuki Grand Vitara premium costs with full coverage and liability only. Data assumes no violations or claims, $1,000 deductibles, marital status is single, and no additional discounts are factored in.
Are you wasting money paying for full coverage?
There is no clear-cut formula of when to eliminate physical damage coverage on your policy, but there is a general school of thought. If the yearly cost for physical damage coverage is more than about 10% of the vehicle’s replacement cost less your deductible, then you might want to consider buying only liability coverage.
For example, let’s say your Suzuki Grand Vitara replacement value is $8,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is totaled, the most you would get paid by your company is $7,000 after you pay the deductible. If you are paying more than $700 a year for your policy with full coverage, the it may be a good time to stop paying for full coverage.
There are some conditions where dropping full coverage is not financially feasible. If you still owe a portion of the original loan, you must maintain physical damage coverage as part of the loan requirements. Also, if you cannot afford to purchase a different vehicle in the event your current vehicle is totaled, you should not opt for liability only.
When should I talk to an insurance agent?
Some consumers still like to sit down and talk to an agent and that is just fine! Experienced insurance agents can help determine the best coverages and will help you if you have claims. A nice benefit of comparing rate quotes online is that drivers can save money and get lower rates and also buy local. Putting coverage with local insurance agencies is especially important in Baltimore.
For easy comparison, once you complete this simple form, the quote information is instantly submitted to agents in your area that give free quotes for your coverage. You don’t have to even leave your home because prices are sent immediately to you. If you wish to get a price quote from a specific insurance company, don’t hesitate to visit that company’s website and give them your coverage information.
Different types of Baltimore car insurance agents
If you want to use a reliable insurance agent, you should know the types of insurance agents and how they can quote your rates. Insurance agents can either be exclusive or independent. Either one can sell and service insurance coverage, but it is important to understand the difference between them since it could factor into your selection of an agent.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
These agents are not required to write business for one company so they can quote policies with many different companies and find you cheaper rates. To transfer your coverage to a different company, they simply move the coverage in-house and you won’t have to switch agencies. When shopping rates, it’s a good idea to contact multiple independent agents to get the best comparison.
Shown below is a short list of independent agents in Baltimore that can give you free insurance rate quotes.
Agents of this type generally can only insure with one company such as State Farm, Allstate, or Farmers Insurance. They are unable to compare rates from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agents are very knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Shown below are Baltimore exclusive agencies who can help you get rate quotes.
Valerie Cherry – State Farm Insurance Agent
6800 York Road – Baltimore, MD 21212 – (410) 435-6600 – View Map
Charmaine Barnes – State Farm Insurance Agent
900 S Ellwood Ave – Baltimore, MD 21224 – (410) 675-1900 – View Map
Choosing an insurance agent should depend on more than just the quoted price. Any agent in Baltimore should be willing to answer these questions.
- How will an accident affect your rates?
- Do you work with a CSR or direct with the agent?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- If you have an accident, are you able to get your vehicle repaired at the shop of your choice?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Baltimore?
If you feel you receive satisfactory answers to all your questions and an acceptable price quote, most likely you have located an auto insurance agent that is a good match to properly insure your vehicles.
Best auto insurance in Baltimore
Ending up with the top auto insurance company is difficult considering how many companies provide coverage in Baltimore. The rank data below could help you pick which providers to look at to insure your vehicles.
Top 10 Baltimore Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- American Family
- Titan Insurance
- AAA Insurance
Top 10 Baltimore Car Insurance Companies Overall
- Mercury Insurance
- AAA Insurance
- State Farm
- The Hartford
- Safeco Insurance
Coverages available on your policy
Understanding the coverages of your policy aids in choosing the right coverages at the best deductibles and correct limits. The terms used in a policy can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement. Listed below are typical coverage types available from car insurance companies.
Comprehensive or Other Than Collision
Comprehensive insurance coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. A deductible will apply then the remaining damage will be covered by your comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things like theft, damage from a tornado or hurricane and damage from getting keyed. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider dropping full coverage.
Coverage for collisions
Collision coverage covers damage to your Grand Vitara caused by collision with an object or car. You have to pay a deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision can pay for things such as rolling your car, colliding with a tree, hitting a mailbox, crashing into a building and damaging your car on a curb. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. Drivers also have the option to choose a higher deductible on your Grand Vitara to bring the cost down.
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle from other drivers when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your Suzuki Grand Vitara.
Since a lot of drivers carry very low liability coverage limits (which is 30/60/15), it only takes a small accident to exceed their coverage. This is the reason having UM/UIM coverage is very important. Normally your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Liability car insurance
Liability coverage will cover damage or injury you incur to other people or property. It protects YOU against other people’s claims. Liability doesn’t cover damage to your own property or vehicle.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. Your policy might show limits of 30/60/15 which means $30,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, a total of $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and property damage coverage for $15,000. Another option is one limit called combined single limit (CSL) which combines the three limits into one amount and claims can be made without the split limit restrictions.
Liability can pay for claims like loss of income, bail bonds, attorney fees, court costs and medical services. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but you should buy higher limits if possible. Maryland requires drivers to carry at least 30/60/15 but you should think about purchasing higher limits.
The chart below shows why buying low liability limits may not be high enough to cover claims.
Medical costs insurance
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for short-term medical expenses like doctor visits, funeral costs and chiropractic care. The coverages can be used in conjunction with a health insurance program or if you are not covered by health insurance. It covers all vehicle occupants and also covers any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP coverage is not an option in every state but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
A conclusion for your auto insurance search
Budget-conscious Suzuki Grand Vitara insurance can be bought from both online companies and from local insurance agents, so you need to shop Baltimore auto insurance with both so you have a total pricing picture. Some insurance companies do not offer rates over the internet and usually these smaller providers prefer to sell through local independent agents.
When buying insurance coverage, it’s very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There have been many situations where an accident victim reduced liability coverage limits only to regret that their decision to reduce coverage ended up costing them more. Your strategy should be to purchase plenty of coverage at the best possible price, but don’t skip important coverages to save money.
Steps to finding the cheapest rates for Suzuki Grand Vitara insurance in Baltimore
It takes a little time, but the best way to get more affordable Suzuki Grand Vitara insurance in Baltimore is to start comparing prices yearly from providers in Maryland.
- Step 1: Take a few minutes and learn about how auto insurance works and the changes you can make to keep rates in check. Many things that cause rate increases such as your driving record and a poor credit rating can be rectified by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Step 2: Request price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide rate quotes from multiple companies. Begin your rate comparison
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing coverage to see if you can save by switching companies. If you can save money, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
One key aspect when comparing rates is to try to use the same level of coverage on every quote request and to quote with as many companies as feasibly possible. This ensures the most accurate price comparison and the best price quote selection.
Other learning opportunities
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)
- Who Has Affordable Baltimore Car Insurance for a GMC Sierra? (FAQ)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes for Ride Shares in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance for a Ford Edge in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Five Tips to Save on Auto Insurance (Insurance Information Institute)
- Automakers compete to add autobraking (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Child Safety FAQ (iihs.org)