To save the most money, the best way to find the cheapest price for auto insurance rates is to start comparing rates regularly from insurance carriers who sell auto insurance in Baltimore. You can compare rates by completing these steps.
- Step 1: It will benefit you to learn about how companies price auto insurance and the measures you can control to drop your rates. Many things that are responsible for high rates like traffic tickets, fender benders, and a poor credit rating can be rectified by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Keep reading for additional ideas to prevent expensive rate increases and find available discounts that you may qualify for.
- Step 2: Request price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give prices from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agencies can give you price quotes for a wide range of companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new quotes to the premium of your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find a lower rate quote and change companies, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Step 4: Provide adequate notice to your current company of your intent to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit the signed application along with the required initial payment to your new company or agent. Be sure to put the new certificate verifying proof of insurance in your glove compartment.
A key point to remember is to use the same liability limits and deductibles on every quote request and and to get price estimates from as many different insurance providers as possible. This enables a level playing field and a complete price analysis.
A recent insurance study discovered that about 70% of customers have remained with the same insurance company for four years or more, and just short of a majority have never compared rates to find affordable insurance. Baltimore insurance shoppers could save themselves as much as $750 a year, but most undervalue the actual amount they would save if they switched to a more affordable policy.
Finding the cheapest coverage in Baltimore is quite easy. If you have auto insurance now, you should be able to get lower rates using these methods. Drivers just have to know the most effective way to find the lowest price online.
The companies shown below provide quotes in Maryland. If your goal is to find cheap car insurance in Baltimore, we suggest you click on several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Baltimore insurance discounts for a Nissan Leaf
Companies offering auto insurance do not advertise every discount in a way that’s easy to find, so the following is a list of both well-publicized and also the more inconspicuous discounts you could be receiving when you buy Baltimore auto insurance online.
- Discount for New Cars – Putting insurance on a new Leaf can be considerably cheaper due to better safety requirements for new model year vehicles.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars and trucks equipped with ABS or steering control have fewer accidents and qualify for as much as a 10% discount.
- Military Rewards – Having a deployed family member may qualify for rate reductions.
- Discounts for Federal Employees – Simply working for the federal government may qualify for a discount when you quote Baltimore auto insurance with some insurance companies.
- Distant Student – Kids who are enrolled in a college that is more than 100 miles from Baltimore and do not have a car can be insured at a reduced rate.
- Multiple Cars – Insuring primary and secondary vehicles on one policy can get a discount for every vehicle.
- Driver’s Education for Students – Require your teen driver to enroll in driver’s education as it can save substantially.
- Renewal Discounts – A few insurance companies give discounts for buying a new policy prior to your current Leaf insurance policy expiration. This discount can save up to 10%.
- Accident Waiver – Not really a discount, but a handful of insurance companies will let one accident slide without raising rates with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a set time period.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you combine your homeowners and auto policies with one insurance company you will save up to 20% off your total Leaf insurance premium.
As a disclaimer on discounts, most discounts do not apply to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like liability and collision coverage. If you do the math and it seems like it’s possible to get free car insurance, insurance companies aren’t that generous.
Some of the insurance companies who might offer these discounts possibly include:
When comparing rates, check with all the companies what discounts are available to you. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not apply in Baltimore.
Baltimore Insurance Prices are Influenced by These Factors
Many things are part of the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some are pretty understandable such as your driving record, but other factors are less obvious such as your credit history or your commute time. A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing the rating factors that are used to determine car insurance rates. If you have a feel for what controls the rates you pay, this allows you to make educated decisions that may result in big savings.
The list below includes a partial list of the pieces car insurance companies consider when setting your rates.
- Location can influence price – Being located in a rural area has it’s advantages when insuring your vehicles. Fewer drivers on the road means fewer accidents as well as less vandalism and auto theft. People in densely populated areas have much more traffic and longer commutes to work. More time commuting statistically corresponds to a higher accident and claim rate.
- Don’t cancel your policy without a new one in place – Allowing your car insurance policy to lapse is a quick way to drive up your policy premiums. Not only will rates go up, failure to provide proof of insurance may earn you fines and jail time. You may then be required to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Maryland DMV.
- You may save more by consolidating policies – The majority of insurers will award lower prices to clients that have more than one policy in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even if you already get this discount, it’s always a smart idea to compare other company rates to confirm you are receiving the best rates possible.
- Lower performance equals lower insurance costs – The type of vehicle you own makes a huge difference in your premium level. Small economy passenger models usually have the lowest rates, but there are many factors that impact the final cost.
- Rates increase with driving citations – A bad driving record has a lot to do with how much you pay for insurance. Drivers with clean records receive lower rates than bad drivers. Having a single driving citation may cause rates to rise twenty percent or more. Drivers who have received serious violations such as DUI, reckless driving or excessive speeding may face state-mandated requirements to submit a SR-22 or proof of financial responsibility with their state in order to prevent their license from being revoked.
- GPS tracking and theft deterrents reduce premiums – Buying a car that has a built-in theft deterrent system can save you a little every year. Theft prevention devices like tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar help track and prevent your vehicle from being stolen.
- Do women or men drive better? – Over the last 30 years, statistics show that females take fewer risks when driving. This data doesn’t prove that males are worse at driving than females. Women and men get in fender benders at a similar rate, but the men cause more damage. Not only that, but men also receive more costly citations such as DWI and reckless driving. Young men ages 16 to 20 tend to get in the most accidents and therefore pay the highest rates.
- Vehicles with better crash test results means cheaper prices – Vehicles with high crash test scores can get you lower premiums. These vehicles help reduce the chance of injuries in an accident and better occupant protection means your insurance company pays less and thus lower rates.
Nissan Leaf statistical loss data – Companies take into consideration insurance loss statistics for every vehicle when setting rates for each model. Models that statistically have increased losses will have higher rates for specific coverages. The table below illustrates the insurance loss data for Nissan Leaf vehicles.
For each policy coverage type, the claim probability for all vehicles averaged together is a value of 100. Percentage values below 100 imply a favorable loss record, while numbers that are greater than 100 show a trend for more claims or statistically larger losses.
Nissan Leaf Insurance Claim Statistics Make and Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Nissan Leaf Electric 89 84 45 83 64 76BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Are auto insurance agents obsolete?
Some consumers still prefer to visit with an insurance agent and that is recommended in a lot of cases Licensed agents are trained to spot inefficiencies and will help you if you have claims. One of the best bonuses of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get cheap car insurance rates and still choose a local agent.
Upon completion of this simple form, your information gets sent to insurance agents in Baltimore who will give you quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You won’t need to leave your house since price quotes are sent directly to you. If you have a need to quote rates from a specific insurance company, don’t hesitate to find their quoting web page and complete a quote there.
Choosing an insurance company requires more thought than just a cheap price. These are valid questions to ask:
- Did they already check your driving record and credit reports?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- What insurance company do they write the most business with?
- Can glass claims be handled at your home?
- Do the agents have professional certifications like CPCU or CIC?
Your situation helps dictate your coverage
When it comes to buying coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a best way to insure your cars. You are unique and your car insurance should be unique as well.
For instance, these questions could help you determine if you might need an agent’s assistance.
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Is my Nissan Leaf covered for smoke damage?
- How high should my uninsured/underinsured coverage be in Maryland?
- Will my Nissan Leaf be repaired with OEM or aftermarket parts?
- Is motorclub coverage worth it?
- Do they offer discounts for home and auto coverage?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- Can I rate high risk drivers on liability-only vehicles?
- Is borrowed equipment or tools covered if stolen or damaged?
- What does medical payments cover?
If you’re not sure about those questions, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or you can also visit this page to select a carrier It only takes a few minutes and can provide invaluable advice.
Lower rates by being persistent
When you buy Baltimore auto insurance online, it’s not a good idea to skimp on coverage in order to save money. There are a lot of situations where consumers will sacrifice liability coverage limits only to regret that they should have had better coverage. Your strategy should be to buy enough coverage at the best price, but do not skimp to save money.
We’ve covered many tips how you can find cheaper Nissan Leaf insurance in Baltimore. The key thing to remember is the more you quote Baltimore auto insurance, the better chance you’ll have of finding affordable Baltimore auto insurance quotes. You may even find the biggest savings come from a lesser-known regional company. These companies may cover specific market segments cheaper as compared to the big name companies such as Progressive or GEICO.
- Higher speed limits cause more fatalities (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Quotes for Electric Cars in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for a Ford Explorer in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Rates for Government Employees in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)