Are you a victim of an under-performing, overpriced insurance policy? Don’t feel bad because there are lots of Baltimore residents who feel the same.
It’s an obvious statement that insurance companies want to keep your business as long as possible. People who shop around will, in all likelihood, buy a different policy because there is a significant possibility of getting low-cost coverage. A recent study showed that drivers who compared prices regularly saved approximately $72 a month compared to people who never shopped for cheaper rates.
If finding low prices for Pontiac Grand Prix insurance is the reason you’re reading this, then having some insight into how to quote and compare insurance can make it easier for you to save money.
With so many companies to choose from that have lower-cost insurance for a Pontiac Grand Prix in Baltimore, it can be impossible to pick a lower cost company.
Our objective in writing this article is to familiarize you with how car insurance quotes work. If you currently have insurance, you stand a good chance to be able to reduce premiums using the concepts covered in this article. Although Maryland drivers must comprehend how big insurance companies determine what you pay because it can help you find the best coverage.
When comparison shopping, there are several ways to compare rate quotes from many car insurance companies in Maryland. The fastest way to lower the rate you pay for Pontiac Grand Prix insurance is simply to get online rate quotes.
It’s so easy to compare quotes online that it makes it a waste of time to spend your day driving to insurance agencies in your area. Quoting Pontiac Grand Prix insurance online makes this unnecessary unless you have a need for the personal advice that only an agent can give. Some companies do allow you to find lower rates online but buy the policy through an agent. When comparing car insurance rates, know that obtaining a wide range of quotes helps increase your odds of locating more affordable insurance.
The auto insurance companies shown below can provide comparison quotes in Maryland. If you want to find cheaper car insurance in Baltimore, MD, we suggest you compare several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Seven discounts for cheap insurance quotes
Some insurance providers don’t always publicize every discount available very well, so below is a list a few of the more common as well as some of the hidden discounts you could be receiving when you buy Baltimore auto insurance online. If you do not double check each discount possible, you could be saving more on your insurance.
- No Claim Discounts – Baltimore drivers who stay claim-free can earn big discounts in comparison with drivers who are more careless.
- Multi-Vehicle Discounts – Having multiple cars or trucks on one policy could earn a price break for each car.
- Discount for Multiple Policies – If you combine your auto and homeowners policies and place coverage with the same company they may give you a discount of as much as 10 to 15 percent.
- ABS Braking Discount – Cars equipped with ABS or steering control have fewer accidents and will save you 10% or more on Grand Prix insurance in Baltimore.
- Drive Less and Save – Driving fewer miles could be rewarded with lower insurance rates on the low mileage vehicles.
- Multi-line Discount – If the company offers life insurance, you could get lower rates if you buy a life insurance policy as well.
- Federal Employees – Having worked for a branch of the government can save as much as 8% with certain companies.
Discounts save money, but please remember that most discounts do not apply to the entire policy premium. Most only cut the price of certain insurance coverages like collision or personal injury protection. Even though the math looks like it’s possible to get free car insurance, nobody gets a free ride.
A list of insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer are included below.
- State Farm has discounts for passive restraint, safe vehicle, multiple policy, good student, and multiple autos.
- Liberty Mutual offers premium reductions for exclusive group savings, multi-car, safety features, new move discount, and newly retired.
- American Family may have discounts that include early bird, accident-free, good driver, multi-vehicle, air bags, and Steer into Savings.
- Progressive may include discounts for multi-policy, good student, online signing, continuous coverage, homeowner, and multi-vehicle.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for youthful driver, alternative fuel, good student, pay in full, distant student, electronic funds transfer, and multi-car.
- Auto-Owners Insurance discounts include mature driver, student away at school, anti-lock brakes, multi-policy, and anti-theft.
- SAFECO offers discounts for teen safe driver, anti-theft, safe driver, anti-lock brakes, homeowner, and multi-car.
If you need inexpensive Baltimore auto insurance quotes, ask each company how many discounts you can get. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be available to policyholders in Baltimore. To view insurance companies that offer many of these discounts in Baltimore, click this link.
Exclusive versus independent auto insurance agents
A lot of people still like to sit down with an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. The biggest benefit of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that you can find the lowest rates but also keep your business local. Buying from local agents is definitely important in Baltimore.
By using this quick form, the coverage information is transmitted to companies in Baltimore that give free quotes and help you find cheaper coverage. You never need to search for any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered immediately to your email address. You can find the lowest rates without the usual hassles of price shopping. If you wish to compare rates from a specific company, you would need to visit that company’s website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Baltimore auto insurance agents come in two flavors
If you want to buy car insurance from a local Baltimore insurance agent, it’s important to understand the different agency structures that you can choose from. Insurance agencies in Baltimore are classified as either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents in the independent channel can quote rates with many companies so they have the ability to put coverage with any number of different companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If they find a cheaper price, they simply move the coverage in-house which makes it simple for you. When comparing car insurance rates, we recommend you compare quotes from a couple of independent agencies to get the best comparison.
Below is a small list of independent agents in Baltimore that can possibly get you free rate quotes.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be exclusive normally can only provide a single company’s rates and examples are Allstate, State Farm and Farm Bureau. They generally cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agents are usually well trained on sales techniques which can be an advantage.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agents in Baltimore that are able to give rate quotes.
Finding the right insurance agent requires you to look at more than just the price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
- Does the agency have a good rating with the Better Business Bureau?
- Are aftermarket or OEM parts used to repair vehicles?
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Maryland?
- Who is covered by the car insurance policy?
- Do clients work directly with the agent or are most inquiries handled by a CSR?
After you get positive feedback to your questions as well as a affordable price, you have narrowed it down to an insurance agent that meets the criteria to insure your vehicles.
You are unique and your insurance should be too
When it comes to buying adequate coverage for your personal vehicles, there really is not a single plan that fits everyone. Each situation is unique.
For example, these questions might help in determining if your situation might need an agent’s assistance.
- If my car is totaled with they pay enough to replace it?
- Should I waive the damage coverage when renting a car?
- Is a new car covered when I drive it off the dealer lot?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- How do I file an SR-22 for a DUI in Maryland?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Is my Pontiac Grand Prix covered for flood damage?
- Do I need rental car coverage?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions but you know they apply to you then you might want to talk to an agent. To find an agent in your area, fill out this quick form.
Auto insurance does more than just repair your car
Despite the high cost of buying insurance for a Pontiac Grand Prix in Baltimore, insurance is most likely required but also gives you several important benefits.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means state laws require a specific level of liability coverage in order to drive the car. In Maryland these limits are 30/60/15 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Pontiac has a loan, almost every bank will require that you buy full coverage to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may buy a policy for your Pontiac for a much higher rate and require you to pay for it.
- Insurance protects both your Pontiac Grand Prix and your assets. Insurance will pay for many types of medical costs that are the result of an accident. Liability insurance also pays expenses related to your legal defense in the event you are sued. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay to repair the damage.
The benefits of having insurance are without a doubt worth the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is overpaying over $850 per year so it’s important to compare rates every year to be sure current rates are still competitive.
Insurance coverage options for a Pontiac Grand Prix
Understanding the coverages of your policy can help you determine which coverages you need and the correct deductibles and limits. The coverage terms in a policy can be impossible to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording.
Liability insurance provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to people or other property in an accident. It protects YOU against other people’s claims. It does not cover damage sustained by your vehicle in an accident.
Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see policy limits of 30/60/15 which stand for a $30,000 limit per person for injuries, a total of $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a limit of $15,000 paid for damaged property. Occasionally you may see a combined limit which limits claims to one amount rather than limiting it on a per person basis.
Liability coverage protects against things such as repair bills for other people’s vehicles, structural damage, medical services and bail bonds. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. Maryland state law requires minimum liability limits of 30/60/15 but you should consider buying more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below shows why low liability limits may not be enough.
Collision insurance covers damage to your Grand Prix resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You will need to pay your deductible and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision insurance covers things such as sustaining damage from a pot hole, driving through your garage door, rolling your car and backing into a parked car. This coverage can be expensive, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. It’s also possible to raise the deductible on your Grand Prix to save money on collision insurance.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
This coverage gives you protection when other motorists are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since a lot of drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (Maryland limits are 30/60/15), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked. Frequently these limits are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
This coverage covers damage from a wide range of events other than collision. You need to pay your deductible first then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive can pay for claims such as falling objects, theft and a tree branch falling on your vehicle. The maximum amount you can receive from a comprehensive claim is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much it’s probably time to drop comprehensive insurance.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance kick in for short-term medical expenses like funeral costs, nursing services, surgery, dental work and rehabilitation expenses. The coverages can be utilized in addition to your health insurance plan or if you are not covered by health insurance. They cover both the driver and occupants in addition to getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is not universally available and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Quote more to save more
Lower-priced Pontiac Grand Prix insurance in Baltimore is available on the web and from local agencies, so you need to quote Baltimore auto insurance with both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers do not provide online rate quotes and usually these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent agencies.
Drivers who switch companies do it for any number of reasons including questionable increases in premium, denial of a claim, high prices and even high rates after DUI convictions. No matter why you want to switch, finding the right auto insurance provider is actually quite simple.
We just presented quite a bit of information on how to save on Pontiac Grand Prix insurance in Baltimore. The key thing to remember is the more rate comparisons you have, the better your comparison will be. Consumers may even find the lowest prices are with a small local company.
How to find affordable quotes for Pontiac Grand Prix insurance in Baltimore
To save the most money, the best way to find better pricing on Pontiac Grand Prix insurance in Baltimore is to compare prices at least once a year from insurers who provide auto insurance in Maryland.
- Step 1: Take a little time to learn about how car insurance works and the measures you can control to prevent expensive coverage. Many risk factors that increase rates like traffic citations, accidents, and a not-so-good credit history can be eliminated by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Step 2: Quote rates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive agents and direct companies can only provide price estimates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple sources. View companies
- Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find a lower rate quote and switch companies, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Provide notification to your current agent or company to cancel the current policy. Submit the signed application along with the required initial payment to your new agent or company. Be sure to place the new proof of insurance certificate with your vehicle’s registration.
A good tip to remember is to try to compare identical coverages on every quote and and to compare as many companies as possible. This provides a level playing field and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
Additional auto insurance information can be read at these links:
- Rental Reimbursement Coverage (Allstate)
- How Much are Baltimore Auto Insurance Quotes for Real Estate Agents? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Baltimore Auto Insurance for Veterans? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for a 20 Year Old Female in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- What is the Cheapest Auto Insurance in Baltimore, Maryland? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for Postal Workers in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Teenagers in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)
- Speed and Speed Limit FAQ (iihs.org)
- Smart Auto Insurance Tips (Insurance Information Institute)
- Choosing a Car for Your Teen (State Farm)