It’s safe to assume that insurance companies want to keep you from comparing rates. Consumers who shop around for cheaper prices are inclined to switch car insurance companies because there is a good chance of finding a lower-cost company. A study showed that people who compared prices once a year saved as much as $3,500 over four years compared to people who never compared prices.
If finding the lowest rates on insurance is your target objective, learning how to quote and compare auto insurance can save time and make the process easier.
The most effective way to find cheaper quotes for Volkswagen Rabbit insurance in Baltimore is to start doing an annual price comparison from companies in Maryland. You can compare rates by following these guidelines.
- First, read and learn about how companies price auto insurance and the modifications you can make to prevent high rates. Many rating criteria that result in higher rates like speeding tickets, careless driving and a bad credit rating can be eliminated by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Second, obtain price quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only provide price estimates from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while independent agents can provide rate quotes from multiple sources.
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates and determine if there is any savings. If you find a better price and decide to switch, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Fourth, provide written notification to your current company of your intent to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application for the new coverage. Once the paperwork is finalized, place the new certificate verifying proof of insurance somewhere easily accessible.
A good piece of advice is to use identical limits and deductibles on every price quote and and to get prices from as many different companies as possible. Doing this ensures a fair rate comparison and a thorough price selection.
The are a couple different ways of comparing rates from all the different companies. The best method to find affordable Volkswagen Rabbit insurance rates consists of obtaining rate quotes online. Just remember that comparing a wide range of rates increases your odds of finding a lower rate.
The following companies are ready to provide price quotes in Maryland. If you want to find cheap car insurance in Baltimore, it’s highly recommended you compare several of them to get the most competitive price.
Verify you’re earning every discount
Not many people think insurance is cheap, but you may find discounts to help offset the cost. A few discounts will automatically apply when you get a quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be requested specifically prior to receiving the credit. If you are not receiving all the discounts you deserve, you are throwing money away.
- Student in College – Children who live away from home to go to college and won’t have access to an insured vehicle may qualify for this discount.
- Driver Education Discount – It’s a good idea to have your young drivers participate in a local driver’s education class in high school.
- One Accident Forgiven – This one is not really a discount per se, but some insurance companies permit an accident before raising your premiums with the catch being you have to be claim-free before the accident.
- Senior Citizen Discount – Drivers that qualify as senior citizens could receive a slight reduction on a Baltimore car insurance quote.
- Payment Method – If you can afford to pay the entire bill rather than paying in monthly installments you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Cars equipped with ABS or steering control prevent accidents so you can save 10 percent or more.
As a footnote on discounts, some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Most only apply to the cost of specific coverages such as medical payments or collision. Despite the fact that it seems like all those discounts means the company will pay you, nobody gets a free ride.
A partial list of companies that possibly offer most of the discounts above include:
Before you buy a policy, ask each company which discounts you qualify for. Some of the earlier mentioned discounts may not apply in Baltimore. If you would like to choose from a list of auto insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in Baltimore, click here.
Compare prices but still have a neighborhood Baltimore auto insurance agent
Many drivers prefer to talk to a local agent and that is not a bad decision One of the great benefits of comparing rate quotes online is that you can find the best rates and still choose a local agent.
After filling out this short form, your insurance data is transmitted to companies in Baltimore who will return price quotes for your coverage. You never need to do any legwork due to the fact that quote results will go to you instantly. You can most likely find cheaper rates AND an agent nearby. If for some reason you want to compare rates from one company in particular, just visit that company’s website and complete a quote there.
Picking the best insurance company is decision based upon more than just the quoted price. These questions are important to ask:
- Can they provide you with a list of referrals?
- What company do they have the most business with?
- Do they have cheaper tiers of coverage?
- Is there any savings for paying the full premium?
- Is the agent and/or agency licensed to do business in Maryland?
- How much can you save by raising your physical damage deductibles?
- How long has their agency been open in Baltimore?
- Which companies do they recommend if they are an independent agency?
You may need specialized car insurance coverage
Keep in mind that when it comes to choosing a policy for your vehicles, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. You are unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that might help in determining if you might need an agent’s assistance.
- Is a fancy paint job covered?
- What if an uninsured driver hits me?
- Will my insurance pay for OEM parts?
- Are my company tools covered if they get stolen?
- Is my nanny covered when driving my vehicle?
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
- Should I pay a claim out-of-pocket?
- Am I covered when driving someone else’s vehicle?
If you can’t answer these questions but one or more may apply to you, you may need to chat with an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Smart Choices Result in Lower Insurance Prices
Lots of factors are part of the calculation when you get your auto insurance bill. Some of the criteria are obvious such as your driving history, although others are more obscure such as your marital status or how safe your car is. Part of the insurance buying process is learning some of the things that help determine the level of your policy premiums. If you have a feel for what controls the rates you pay, this helps enable you to make changes that can help you get lower premium levels.
Job stress can make you pay more – Did you know your job can affect your rates? Jobs like lawyers, air traffic controllers, and dentists generally pay higher average rates attributed to intense work-related stress and lots of time spent at work. On the other hand, occupations like actors, historians and homemakers pay the least.
Alarm systems systems cut prices – Choosing a vehicle with a theft deterrent system can get you a discount on your insurance. Anti-theft features such as tamper alarm systems, vehicle immobilizer technology and General Motors OnStar all hinder auto theft.
Bundle and save – The majority of companies will award discounts for people who carry more than one policy such as combining an auto and homeowners policy. Discounts can amount to five, ten or even twenty percent. Even if you already get this discount, drivers will still want to get quotes from other companies to make sure you are getting the best deal.
Liability insurance safeguards assets – Liability insurance is the coverage that protects you when you are responsible for damages from an accident. Liability insurance provides legal defense coverage which can be incredibly expensive. Liability insurance is quite affordable when compared with rates for comp and collision, so drivers should buy more than the minimum limits required by law.
Car insurance does more than just repair your car
Despite the potentially high cost of Volkswagen Rabbit insurance, buying car insurance serves a purpose in several ways.
First, almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to carry specific limits of liability protection if you want to drive legally. In Maryland these limits are 30/60/15 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you have a lien on your vehicle, most banks will have a requirement that you carry insurance to guarantee loan repayment. If you do not keep the policy in force, the bank may insure your Volkswagen at a significantly higher premium and require you to fork over much more than you were paying before.
Third, insurance protects not only your Volkswagen but also your financial assets. It will also cover medical bills for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also pays expenses related to your legal defense if you cause an accident and are sued. If your Volkswagen gets damaged, collision and comprehensive coverages will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of having car insurance more than offset the price you pay, especially for larger claims. In a recent study of 1,000 drivers, the average customer is overpaying more than $700 annually so you should quote and compare rates at least once a year to save money.
One last thing to lower rates
People switch companies for many reasons like high rates after DUI convictions, not issuing a premium refund, extreme rates for teen drivers and policy cancellation. Regardless of your reason for switching companies, finding the right insurance provider can be less work than you think.
When searching for affordable Baltimore car insurance quotes, it’s a bad idea to skimp on critical coverages to save a buck or two. Too many times, an insured cut uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim they didn’t purchase enough coverage. The proper strategy is to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest cost and still be able to protect your assets.
The cheapest Volkswagen Rabbit insurance in Baltimore can be purchased on the web and with local Baltimore insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best chance of lowering rates. Some insurance providers do not offer price quotes online and these small insurance companies only sell coverage through independent insurance agents.
To learn more, feel free to visit these articles:
- Liability Insurance Coverage (Nationwide)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Teenage Males in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- How Much is Baltimore Car Insurance for Drivers with Good Credit? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Seniors in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Teenagers in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- No-Fault Auto Insurance Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Auto Insurance Learning Center (State Farm)