The easiest way to save on auto insurance rates in Baltimore is to compare prices regularly from providers who sell auto insurance in Maryland. You can compare prices by following these steps.
- First, take a little time to learn about the different coverages in a policy and the measures you can take to prevent expensive coverage. Many rating factors that cause high rates like accidents, careless driving, and a negative credit rating can be amended by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. This article gives additional ideas to help reduce premium rates and get bigger discounts that may have been overlooked.
- Second, request rate estimates from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive or Allstate, while independent agencies can provide price quotes from multiple companies. View rates
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to your existing rates and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you can save some money, verify that coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Fourth, notify your current company to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit the signed application along with the required initial payment for your new policy. Be sure to keep the new certificate verifying coverage in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
One piece of advice is that you use the same level of coverage on each quote and and to get rate quotes from as many car insurance companies as possible. This guarantees the most accurate price comparison and and a good selection of different prices.
It’s an obvious assumption that auto insurance companies don’t want customers comparing rates. Insureds who shop rates annually are likely to switch to a new company because there is a great chance of finding coverage at a cheaper rate. A study discovered that consumers who compared prices once a year saved on average $72 a month compared to drivers who never compared rates.
If finding discount rates on Volkswagen Atlas insurance is your ultimate goal, then having an understanding of how to quote prices and compare auto insurance can help make the process easier and more efficient.
Locating the most cost-effective car insurance policy in Baltimore is easy if you know what you’re doing. If you have insurance now, you stand a good chance to be able to get lower rates using these methods. Drivers just need to learn the least time-consuming way to get comparison rates online from multiple companies.
Companies offering cheap Volkswagen Atlas rate quotes in Baltimore, MD
The providers in the list below provide quotes in Baltimore, MD. If you wish to find cheap car insurance in Baltimore, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get the best price comparison.
Auto insurance policy discounts you can’t miss
Properly insuring your vehicles can get expensive, but there’s a good chance there are discounts to reduce the price significantly. Many discounts should be triggered when you quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be requested specifically before being credited.
- Theft Deterrent – Cars optioned with advanced anti-theft systems help deter theft so companies will give you a small discount.
- Discount for Low Mileage – Keeping the miles down on your Volkswagen may enable drivers to earn cheaper rates.
- Life Insurance Discount – Some insurance companies give a lower auto insurance rate if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Clubs and Organizations – Belonging to a civic or occupational organization in Baltimore could earn you a nice discount on auto insurance.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Drivers who don’t get into accidents could pay up to 40% less than less cautious drivers.
- First Accident Forgiveness – Not a discount per se, but a handful of insurance companies allow you one accident before your rates go up as long as you don’t have any claims for a certain period of time.
- Sign Online – A few larger online companies provide a small discount for buying a policy and signing up over the internet.
- Discount for Passive Restraints – Options like air bags and/or automatic seat belt systems could see savings up to 30%.
- Bundle and Save – If you insure your home and vehicles and place coverage with the same company they may give you a discount of at least 10 to 15 percent or more.
- Good Grades Discount – A discount for being a good student can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The discount lasts up until you turn 25.
You can save money using discounts, but most discounts do not apply to your bottom line cost. Most only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. So when the math indicates having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, nobody gets a free ride.
If you would like to see a list of companies that offer discounts in Baltimore, click here to view.
When should I contact a local insurance agent?
Some people still prefer to sit down and talk to an agent and that can be a smart move Insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and will help you if you have claims. One of the great benefits of getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get cheap rate quotes but still work with a licensed agent.
After completing this form (opens in new window), the quote information is instantly submitted to participating agents in Baltimore who want to provide quotes for your auto insurance coverage. You won’t even need to drive around since rate quotes are delivered directly to you. If you need to quote rates from a specific insurance company, just visit that company’s website and fill out the quote form the provide.
Finding the right provider shouldn’t rely on just the quoted price. The questions below may impact your decision as well.
- What are the financial ratings for the companies they represent?
- Will they take your side in the event of a claim?
- Do they have a Better Business Bureau rating in Baltimore?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- How long have they been in business?
- Are all drivers listed on the coverage quote?
- What will you get paid if your car is a total loss? How is that amount determined?
Exclusive agents vs. Independent agents
If you are wanting to find a good insurance agency, you must know there are a couple types of insurance agents and how they are slightly different. Agencies in Baltimore can either be independent or exclusive. Either one can sell affordable auto insurance policies, but it’s good to learn the differences because it can influence your agent selection.
Agents of this type can only place business with one company and some examples include Allstate, AAA, Farmers Insurance, and State Farm. They generally cannot compare other company’s rates so keep that in mind. Exclusive insurance agents are well schooled on the products they sell which helps overcome the inability to quote other rates.
Below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Baltimore that are able to give price quotes.
Charmaine Barnes – State Farm Insurance Agent
900 S Ellwood Ave – Baltimore, MD 21224 – (410) 675-1900 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents of this type are appointed with more than one company so they can write business through lots of different companies and find you cheaper rates. If they find a lower price, they simply move the coverage in-house without you having to go to a different agency.
When searching for an agent, it’s recommended you compare quotes from independent agents for maximum quote selection.
The following are independent insurance agencies in Baltimore that can give you price quote information.
What is the best car insurance company in Maryland?
Selecting a highly-rated insurer can be challenging considering how many different companies there are to choose from in Maryland. The company information in the next section can help you analyze which coverage providers to look at to insure your vehicles.
Top 10 Baltimore Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Claims Service
- State Farm
- Liberty Mutual
- American Family
- Titan Insurance
- AAA Insurance
Top 10 Baltimore Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- Travelers – A++
- USAA – A++
- GEICO – A++
- State Farm – A++
- Titan Insurance – A+
- Esurance – A+
- Progressive – A+
- The Hartford – A+
- Allstate – A+
- Nationwide – A+
Auto insurance coverage breakdown
Having a good grasp of your auto insurance policy aids in choosing appropriate coverage and the correct deductibles and limits. Auto insurance terms can be difficult to understand and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Listed below are the usual coverages available from auto insurance companies.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants from other motorists when they do not carry enough liability coverage. It can pay for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (30/60/15), their limits can quickly be used up. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage should not be overlooked.
Medical payments coverage and PIP
Personal Injury Protection (PIP) and medical payments coverage pay for short-term medical expenses like nursing services, prosthetic devices, funeral costs and ambulance fees. They are often utilized in addition to your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants and will also cover being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is not available in all states but it provides additional coverages not offered by medical payments coverage
This coverage will pay to fix damage to your Atlas resulting from colliding with another car or object. A deductible applies and the rest of the damage will be paid by collision coverage.
Collision coverage pays for claims like damaging your car on a curb, sustaining damage from a pot hole and sideswiping another vehicle. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so consider removing coverage from vehicles that are 8 years or older. It’s also possible to increase the deductible on your Atlas to save money on collision insurance.
This coverage pays to fix your vehicle from damage that is not covered by collision coverage. You first have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive insurance covers things like hitting a deer, a broken windshield, falling objects, hitting a bird and rock chips in glass. The most you’ll receive from a claim is the actual cash value, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Liability car insurance
This coverage protects you from damage that occurs to other people or property that is your fault. It protects you against claims from other people. Liability doesn’t cover your own vehicle damage or injuries.
Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. Your policy might show values of 30/60/15 that means you have $30,000 in coverage for each person’s injuries, $60,000 for the entire accident, and property damage coverage for $15,000.
Liability insurance covers claims like court costs, bail bonds, medical services and legal defense fees. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but consider buying as high a limit as you can afford. Maryland requires minimum liability limits of 30/60/15 but you should consider buying more coverage.
The illustration below demonstrates why low liability limits may not provide you with enough coverage.
The lowest rates come from being thorough
Cheap Volkswagen Atlas insurance in Baltimore is possible both online and with local Baltimore insurance agents, so you should compare both so you have a total pricing picture. Some companies may not have online price quotes and usually these regional carriers provide coverage only through independent insurance agents.
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s not a good idea to sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are too many instances where drivers have reduced liability limits or collision coverage and learned later they didn’t have enough coverage. Your goal should be to buy the best coverage you can find for the lowest price but still have enough coverage for asset protection.
To read more, feel free to browse the articles below:
- Teen Driving Statistics (GEICO)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance Rates for 18 Year Olds in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- How Much is Baltimore Car Insurance for a Company Car? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance Quotes for Retired Military in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Seniors in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Teachers in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Car Insurance for Teen Drivers with Divorced Parents (Allstate)
- Drunk Driving Statistics (Insurance Information Institute)
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)