Amazingly, about 70% of customers have stayed with the same insurance company for over three years, and just under half have never compared rates to find cheap insurance. Many consumers in the U.S. could save up to $860 a year by just shopping around, but most undervalue how much they could save if they moved their coverage to a different company.
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to find low-cost prices for Chevy Sonic insurance in Baltimore is to regularly compare quotes from different companies in Maryland.
- Step 1: Learn about individual coverages and the things you can change to keep rates down. Many things that cause rate increases such as at-fault accidents, careless driving, and a not-so-good credit rating can be controlled by making minor changes in your lifestyle.
- Step 2: Obtain price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can quote prices from multiple companies.
- Step 3: Compare the quotes to your current policy premium and determine if cheaper Sonic coverage is available. If you find a lower rate, make sure coverage does not lapse between policies.
- Step 4: Notify your company or agent to cancel the current policy and submit payment along with a signed and completed policy application to the new insurer. Once the application is submitted, put the new proof of insurance paperwork somewhere easily accessible.
The key aspect of shopping around is to try to use similar deductibles and liability limits on each quote request and and to look at as many different insurance providers as possible. This guarantees a level playing field and the best rate selection.
Get cheaper Chevy Sonic insurance rates in Baltimore
Car insurance can cost a lot, but you might already qualify for some discounts that can help lower your rates. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied at the time you complete a quote, but lesser-known reductions have to be inquired about in order for you to get them.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars, trucks, and SUVs that have anti-lock braking systems can reduce accidents and will save you 10% or more on Sonic insurance in Baltimore.
- Life Insurance – Not every insurance company offers life insurance, but if they do you may earn lower premium rates if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Drive Less and Save – Fewer annual miles on your Chevy could be rewarded with discounted rates on garaged vehicles.
- Discounts for Good Drivers – Safe drivers can get discounts for up to 45% lower rates than drivers with accident claims.
- Theft Prevention Discount – Cars equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems prevent vehicle theft so companies will give you a small discount.
- Membership in Organizations – Affiliation with certain professional organizations is a simple method to lower premiums when getting a Baltimore auto insurance quote.
- Early Renewal Discounts – A few insurance companies allow discounts for renewing your policy before your current coverage expires. It could save around 10% when you buy Baltimore auto insurance online.
- Active Military Service – Being deployed in the military could qualify you for better premium rates.
- Accident Forgiveness Coverage – This one is not really a discount per se, but a few companies such as Progressive, Allstate, and GEICO will turn a blind eye to one accident without the usual rate increase with the catch being you have to be claim-free for a particular time prior to the accident.
- Telematics Devices – Drivers who elect to allow their company to track driving patterns remotely such as State Farm’s In-Drive may get a rate reduction if they have good driving habits.
We need to note that some credits don’t apply to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce specific coverage prices like liability, collision or medical payments. So even though it sounds like all those discounts means the company will pay you, you’re out of luck.
Large car insurance companies and a partial list of their discounts can be found below.
- GEICO policyholders can earn discounts including defensive driver, multi-policy, driver training, anti-lock brakes, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- Travelers has savings for good student, early quote, continuous insurance, save driver, multi-policy, and student away at school.
- Farm Bureau may offer discounts for driver training, multi-policy, renewal discount, good student, multi-vehicle, safe driver, and youthful driver.
- Liberty Mutual offers premium reductions for new graduate, teen driver discount, newly retired, multi-policy, and new vehicle discount.
- American Family may have discounts that include multi-vehicle, early bird, mySafetyValet, Steer into Savings, and accident-free.
- Progressive offers discounts for good student, online signing, multi-vehicle, multi-policy, and homeowner.
If you need lower rates, check with all companies you are considering which discounts you qualify for. Some of the discounts discussed earlier might not be offered in Baltimore. For a list of companies who offer online Chevy Sonic insurance quotes in Baltimore, click here.
The quickest way to compare insurance rates from multiple companies is to realize almost all companies allow for online access to compare rate quotes. To get started, all you need to do is provide the companies a bit of rating information including how much education you have, if you have a valid license, if it has an anti-theft system, and the ages of drivers. Your rating data is instantly provided to multiple companies and you receive quotes instantly.
If you would like to compare rates now, click here and find out if lower rates are available in Baltimore.
The companies shown below provide quotes in Maryland. If you wish to find cheaper auto insurance in Baltimore, we recommend you click on several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Informed Drivers Can Lower Insurance Rates
Smart consumers have a good feel for the rating factors that aid in calculating insurance rates. When consumers understand what determines base rates, this empowers consumers to make smart changes that may result in better insurance rates.
- Where do you drive? – Driving more miles in a year’s time the higher your rate. A lot of insurance companies charge to insure your cars determined by how the vehicle is used. Cars and trucks that are left in the garage qualify for better rates than those that get driven frequently. Double check that your insurance declarations sheet states the correct driver usage. Having an incorrect usage rating on your Sonic is throwing money out the window.
- Compare rates if you bundle your policies – Most major insurance companies provide a discount to insureds that buy multiple policies in the form of a multi-policy discount. Even with this discount, you still need to shop around to help guarantee you have the best rates.There is a chance you can save money by buying insurance from a different company.
- Raise deductibles and save – The deductibles you choose represent how much money you are required to spend out-of-pocket before your insurance pays a claim. Coverage for physical damage, also called ‘full coverage’, protects your car from damage. Some coverage claims are rear-ending another vehicle, damage from fire, and damage from wind. The more money you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
- Safer cars lower insurance rates – Vehicles that have high safety ratings cost less to insure. Vehicles engineered for safety reduce occupant injuries and fewer injuries means less claims paid which can mean better rates for you.
Chevy Sonic claim statistics – Insurance companies analyze past claim statistics to calculate a rate that will offset any claims. Models that have higher number or severity of losses will have a higher premium rate. The table shown below demonstrates the historical insurance loss data for Chevy Sonic vehicles.
For each coverage category, the loss probability for all vehicles, without regard to make or model, is considered to be 100. Values below 100 imply a favorable loss record, while values that are above 100 indicate more frequent losses or statistically larger claims.
Chevrolet Sonic Insurance Claim Statistics Specific Chevrolet Model Collision Property Damage Comp Personal Injury Medical Payment Bodily Injury Chevrolet Sonic 104 132 91 167 189 159BETTERAVERAGEWORSE
Statistics Source: Insurance Institute for Highway Safety for 2013-2015 Model Years
Buying from car insurance agents
A lot of people would rather go talk to an agent and we recommend doing that Experienced insurance agents will help you protect your assets and help file insurance claims. The best thing about price shopping on the web is that you can obtain cheap auto insurance rates and still choose a local agent. Buying from and supporting small agencies is important particularly in Baltimore.
After completing this form (opens in new window), your coverage information is immediately sent to insurance agents in Baltimore who will return price quotes for your coverage. There is no reason to find an agent as quotes are delivered to your email. In the event you want to quote rates from a specific insurance company, feel free to search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
The type of car insurance agent you choose is important
If you want to use a local Baltimore insurance agency, it can be helpful to understand the different agency structures that differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Auto insurance agents in Baltimore can either be exclusive or independent. Both properly insure your vehicles, but it is important to understand how they are different since it can affect which type of agent you select.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
These agents do not work for one specific company and that allows them to write policies with lots of companies depending on which coverage is best. If they find a cheaper price, they simply switch companies in-house which makes it simple for you.
When searching for an agent, we recommend you get quotes from independent agents in order to compare the most rates. Many can place coverage with smaller mutual companies which can be an advantage.
Below is a small list of independent agencies in Baltimore that can give you rate quotes.
- Mason and Carter Inc
23 South St – Baltimore, MD 21202 – (410) 539-6767 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Frank Dippel Agency Inc
6600 York Rd Ste 207 – Baltimore, MD 21212 – (410) 435-4354 – View Map
- Kirby Insurance Agency, Inc.
14 W Saratoga St #100 – Baltimore, MD 21201 – (410) 837-2320 – View Map
Agents that elect to be exclusive can only write with one company such as AAA, State Farm, Farmers Insurance, and Allstate. Exclusive agencies are unable to give you multiple price quotes so they are skilled at selling on more than just price. Exclusive agencies are usually quite knowledgeable on their company’s products which helps offset the inability to provide other markets. Consumers sometimes use the same exclusive agent primarily because of high brand loyalty and strong financial ratings.
Listed below are exclusive agents in Baltimore that are able to give price quote information.
- Mimi Brown – State Farm Insurance Agent
911 S Lakewood Ave – Baltimore, MD 21224 – (410) 878-0232 – View Map
- Vince Vanneman – State Farm Insurance Agent
1055 Taylor Ave Ste 112 – Baltimore, MD 21286 – (410) 321-0101 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Bennett-Carll Insurance Agency
7435 Baltimore Annapolis Blvd – Glen Burnie, MD 21061 – (410) 760-6651 – View Map
Picking a auto insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just the bottom line cost. Get answers to these questions too.
- Can they give you a list of client referrals?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
- How would your car be valued if totaled?
- If you raise deductibles, how much can you save?
- What company holds the largest book of business for them?
After receiving answers to your satisfaction to any questions you may have as well as offering an affordable quote, it’s a good possibility that you have found a car insurance agent that is professional and can properly insure your vehicles.
Three reasons to insure your Chevy vehicle
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Chevy in Baltimore, paying for car insurance is a good idea for several reasons.
- Almost all states have minimum liability requirements which means you are required to buy a specific minimum amount of liability insurance coverage in order to be legal. In Maryland these limits are 30/60/15 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, it’s guaranteed your bank will have a requirement that you buy insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank may buy a policy for your Chevy for a lot more money and require you to fork over for the expensive policy.
- Car insurance protects both your car and your assets. It also can pay for most medical and hospital costs incurred in an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, collision and comprehensive (also known as other-than-collision) coverage will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of insuring your Sonic are definitely more than the cost, especially for larger claims. The average driver in Maryland is currently overpaying as much as $865 each year so it’s very important to do a rate comparison once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are competitive.
Cheap insurance premiums are possible
Some insurance companies may not provide online quoting and usually these smaller providers only sell coverage through independent agents. Discount Chevy Sonic insurance can be purchased from both online companies in addition to local insurance agencies, so compare prices from both to get a complete price analysis.
People switch companies for any number of reasons including extreme rates for teen drivers, poor customer service, policy non-renewal or delays in paying claims. Whatever your reason, choosing a new company can be less work than you think.
In this article, we presented many tips how you can lower your Chevy Sonic insurance rates in Baltimore. The most important thing to understand is the more quotes you get, the higher your chance of finding cheaper Baltimore auto insurance quotes. You may even be surprised to find that the biggest savings come from a smaller regional carrier.
More detailed insurance information can be found at these sites:
- New head restraint design cuts injuries (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Who Has Affordable Baltimore Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 60? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for State Employees in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for High School Students in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Electronic Stability Control FAQ (iihs.org)
- Neck Injury FAQ (iihs.org)
- Five Steps to Filing an Auto Insurance Claim (Insurance Information Institute)
- Things to Know Before you Cancel Insurance (Allstate)