It’s safe to assume that car insurance companies want to keep you from comparing prices. Insureds who shop around for cheaper rates will presumably switch auto insurance companies because the odds are good of finding a policy with more affordable rates. Remarkably, a study showed that drivers who routinely compared quotes saved an average of $865 annually as compared to drivers who don’t make a habit of comparing rates.
If finding low prices for insurance in Baltimore is the reason for your visit, then having a good understanding how to get free comparison quotes and analyze coverage rates can make it easier to shop your coverage around.
To save the most money, the best way to find discount Pontiac Sunfire insurance in Baltimore is to start comparing rates regularly from providers that insure vehicles in Maryland. You can compare prices by completing these steps.
- First, get a basic knowledge of how auto insurance works and the modifications you can make to keep rates down. Many things that result in higher rates like distracted driving and bad credit can be remedied by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility.
- Second, request rate estimates from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Exclusive and direct companies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can quote prices from multiple insurance companies.
- Third, compare the new rates to the premium of your current policy and see if there is a cheaper rate in Baltimore. If you find a better price and buy the policy, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Fourth, give notification to your current company to cancel your current coverage and submit any necessary down payment along with the completed application to the new insurer. Once coverage is bound, put the new certificate verifying coverage in your vehicle.
The most important part of shopping around is to make sure you’re comparing the same amount of coverage on every quote and and to look at as many auto insurance providers as possible. This provides a fair price comparison and the most accurate and complete price analysis.
The following companies provide price comparisons in Maryland. If multiple companies are listed, we suggest you get prices from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Discounts mean cheaper rates for Pontiac Sunfire insurance in Baltimore
Some insurance providers don’t necessarily list all possible discounts very clearly, so below is a list both the well known and also the more inconspicuous credits available to lower your premiums when you buy Baltimore car insurance online.
- Student in College – College-age children who are enrolled in higher education away from home and won’t have access to an insured vehicle could qualify for this discount.
- Telematics Discount – Drivers who elect to allow their car insurance company to scrutinize when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device in their vehicle such as State Farm’s In-Drive may get a rate reduction if they are good drivers.
- Use Seat Belts – Drivers who require all occupants to buckle up can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) on the premium charged for medical payments and/or PIP.
- Professional Organizations – Joining qualifying employment or professional organizations could earn you a nice discount on your next renewal.
- Government Employees – Federal government employees could qualify for a slight premium decrease with a few car insurance companies.
- Paperwork-free – A handful of car insurance companies give back up to $50 shop Baltimore car insurance online.
- Multiple Vehicles – Insuring several vehicles on the same car insurance policy can get a discount on all vehicles.
We need to note that most discount credits are not given to the overall cost of the policy. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. Even though the math looks like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, car insurance companies aren’t that generous. Any amount of discount will lower the amount you pay for coverage.
Larger car insurance companies and some of the premium reductions they offer can be found below.
- 21st Century includes discounts for homeowners, early bird, 55 and older, air bags, and defensive driver.
- State Farm may include discounts for student away at school, safe vehicle, multiple autos, passive restraint, multiple policy, and driver’s education.
- AAA may have discounts that include multi-car, multi-policy, good driver, good student, anti-theft, and pay-in-full.
- Liberty Mutual policyholders can earn discounts including newly married, newly retired, good student, preferred payment discount, and new vehicle discount.
- Progressive may offer discounts for multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, online quote discount, good student, online signing, and multi-policy.
Double check with each company the best way to save money. Some discounts may not apply to policies everywhere. To choose car insurance companies who offer cheap Pontiac Sunfire insurance quotes in Maryland, click this link.
Maryland auto insurance companies
Selecting the top auto insurance company can be a challenge considering how many companies there are to choose from in Baltimore. The ranking data listed below may help you choose which providers to look at shopping prices with.
Top 10 Baltimore Car Insurance Companies by A.M. Best Rank
- Travelers – A++
- USAA – A++
- GEICO – A++
- State Farm – A++
- Titan Insurance – A+
- Esurance – A+
- Progressive – A+
- The Hartford – A+
- Allstate – A+
- Nationwide – A+
Eight Tips to Get Lower-cost Baltimore Insurance Rates
The best way to find cheaper auto insurance is to take a look at a few of the rating criteria that help calculate auto insurance rates. If you understand what influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that can earn you lower rates. Many things are taken into consideration when pricing auto insurance. Most are fairly basic such as traffic violations, but other criteria are not as apparent such as your marital status and annual miles driven.
The list below includes most of the major factors used by insurance companies to determine prices.
Miles impacts costs – Driving a lot of miles in a year the higher your rate. Many insurance companies apply a rate based on their usage. Vehicles not used for work or commuting can get a lower rate as compared to vehicles used primarily for driving to work. Ask your agent if your auto insurance declarations sheet is rated on the right rating data. Incorrect rating for your Sunfire may be wasting your money.
Marriage can save you money – Having a wife or husband may earn you lower rates on your auto insurance bill. Having a significant other usually means you are more financially stable and it’s proven that being married results in fewer claims.
Prevent your car from being stolen – Selecting a car model with an alarm system can help lower your rates. Advanced theft deterrents such as GM’s OnStar, tamper alarm systems and vehicle immobilizers all help stop auto theft.
Physical damage deductibles – Physical damage deductibles are the amount of money you are required to pay before a claim is paid by your company. Physical damage coverage, aka comp and collision, is used to repair damage to your car. Examples of covered claims could be a windshield broken by a bird, damage from fire, or theft of your vehicle. The higher the amount you are required to pay out-of-pocket, the lower your rates will be.
Liability coverage safeguards assets – The liability coverage on your policy will protect you if ever you are found to be at fault for damages caused by your negligence. Your liability coverage provides legal defense coverage which can be incredibly expensive. This coverage is relatively inexpensive compared to insuring for physical damage coverage, so drivers should make sure they buy enough to cover all assets.
Urban residents pay more – Having an address in smaller towns and rural areas of the country may provide you with better prices when shopping for auto insurance. Less people translates into fewer accident claims in addition to fewer liability claims. People in densely populated areas have to deal with more aggressive driving styles and higher rates of accident claims. Longer commute distances translates into higher accident risk.
Safer occupants lowers prices – Vehicles that have high safety ratings tend to have better insurance rates. Safe vehicles reduce the chance of injuries and reduced instances of injuries translates into savings for insurance companies and thus lower rates.
Decrease premiums by maintaining coverage – Driving any period of time without insurance can get you a ticket and you will pay a penalty because you let your insurance expire. Not only will rates go up, failure to provide proof of insurance could earn you a fine, jail time, or a revoked license.