Everyone knows that car insurance companies don’t want customers comparing rates. Drivers who compare price quotes will presumably switch companies because they stand a good chance of finding a more affordable policy premium. A recent survey revealed that drivers who routinely compared rates saved on average $860 a year compared to other drivers who never shopped around for lower prices.
If finding the best rates on Acura ILX insurance in Baltimore is the reason you’re here, then knowing how to get free comparison quotes and analyze insurance can make the process less intimidating.
Truthfully, the best way to quote cheaper auto insurance rates is to start comparing prices regularly from companies in Baltimore.
- Spend a few minutes and learn about car insurance and the measures you can take to prevent rate increases. Many rating criteria that result in higher prices such as speeding tickets, careless driving and an imperfect credit history can be remedied by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. Read the full article for ideas to help reduce premium rates and find additional discounts.
- Compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agents can provide price quotes from many different companies.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if cheaper ILX coverage is available in Baltimore. If you find a lower rate quote, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
- Notify your agent or company of your intention to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit the completed application along with a down payment for your new policy. Once the application is submitted, put the certificate verifying coverage somewhere easily accessible.
One important bit of advice is that you’ll want to compare the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each price quote and to quote with all possible companies. Doing this provides a fair rate comparison and the best price selection.
Companies offering Acura ILX insurance in Baltimore
The companies shown below provide quotes in Maryland. If you want cheaper auto insurance in Maryland, we recommend you get price quotes from several of them in order to get a fair rate comparison.
Affordable Baltimore car insurance rates with discounts
Companies don’t necessarily list every policy discount very well, so we researched a few of the more well known and the harder-to-find credits that may apply to you. If you aren’t receiving every discount you qualify for, you’re just leaving money on the table.
- No Charge for an Accident – Not really a discount, but a few companies such as Allstate, Progressive, and GEICO will let one accident slide before hitting you with a surcharge if you are claim-free before the accident.
- Save over 55 – Drivers over the age of 55 may receive a small decrease in premiums.
- Anti-lock Brakes – Cars with ABS and/or traction control have fewer accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Renewal Discounts – A few insurance companies give discounts for buying a new policy early. It can save you around 10%.
- Professional Organizations – Participating in a civic or occupational organization in Baltimore is a simple method to lower premiums on car insurance.
- Theft Deterrent – Cars equipped with tracking devices and advanced anti-theft systems are stolen with less frequency so companies will give you a small discount.
- Good Student Discount – A discount for being a good student can save 20 to 25%. Most companies allow this discount up to age 25.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Federal government employees could cut as much as 10% off with some car insurance companies.
- Save with a New Car – Putting insurance coverage on a new ILX can save you some money because newer models are generally safer.
As is typical with insurance, most of the big mark downs will not be given to the overall cost of the policy. Most cut the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So when the math indicates all the discounts add up to a free policy, you’re out of luck.
Auto insurance companies that may include some of the above discounts may include but are not limited to:
If you are trying to find low cost Baltimore auto insurance quotes, ask each insurance company what discounts are available to you. Some credits may not apply in Baltimore. To see providers who offer car insurance discounts in Maryland, click here to view.
What insurance coverages do I need?
When buying a policy, there really is not a one size fits all plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
For instance, these questions could help you determine whether you would benefit from an agent’s advice.
- What are the financial responsibility laws in my state?
- What if I total my Acura ILX and owe more than it’s worth?
- Should I buy only the required Maryland minimum liability coverage?
- Is pleasure use cheaper than using my Acura ILX to commute?
- Is motorclub coverage worth it?
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- Can I afford low physical damage deductibles?
- Is my teenager covered with friends in the car?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you think they might apply to your situation, then you may want to think about talking to an agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Local Baltimore insurance agents and insurance
Some consumers would prefer to go talk to an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. One of the great benefits of comparing rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get lower rates and still have a local agent.
After completing this form (opens in new window), your information is emailed to agents in your area who will give you quotes for your insurance coverage. You won’t even need to contact an agency since rate quotes are delivered to you directly. You can get cheaper insurance rates without requiring a lot of work. If for some reason you want to get a rate quote for a specific company, you can always search and find their rate quote page and submit a quote form there.
Finding the right insurance company requires you to look at more than just a cheap quote. Agents should be asked these questions:
- Are they involved in claim handling?
- Are there any extra charges for paying monthly?
- Does the agent have a valid license to sell insurance in Maryland?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
- Will one accident increase rates?
- What are their preferred companies if they are an independent agency?
- Will you get a loaner vehicle if you car is being repaired?
If you’re trying to find a good Baltimore insurance agent, it’s important to understand the different types of agencies and how they work. Insurance policy providers are classified as either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive normally can only provide a single company’s rates and some examples include American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. They are unable to provide other company’s prices so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents are trained well on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage.
Shown below are Baltimore exclusive insurance agents that can give you price quotes.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agents can quote rates with many companies and that is an advantage because they can write policies with a variety of different insurance companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. If they find a lower price, an independent agent can move your coverage and you can keep the same agent.
If you are comparing insurance prices, you absolutely need to get some free quotes from at a minimum one independent agency in order to have the best price comparison.
Listed below is a short list of independent insurance agents in Baltimore that can give you price quote information.
Auto insurance 101
Understanding the coverages of your policy aids in choosing which coverages you need and proper limits and deductibles. The terms used in a policy can be confusing and reading a policy is terribly boring.
This coverage will cover damage or injury you incur to people or other property by causing an accident. Coverage consists of three different limits, bodily injury for each person injured, bodily injury for the entire accident and a property damage limit. You might see values of 30/60/15 that means you have a $30,000 limit per person for injuries, a limit of $60,000 in injury protection per accident, and $15,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability coverage protects against things like court costs, bail bonds, funeral expenses, emergency aid and repair bills for other people’s vehicles. How much coverage you buy is a personal decision, but buy as much as you can afford. Maryland requires minimum liability limits of 30/60/15 but it’s recommended drivers buy more coverage.
The chart below shows why buying minimum limits may not provide you with enough coverage.
Coverage for medical expenses
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for expenses like pain medications, doctor visits and rehabilitation expenses. They can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance policy or if there is no health insurance coverage. It covers you and your occupants and also covers any family member struck as a pedestrian. Personal Injury Protection is not an option in every state and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
This pays to fix your vehicle from damage from colliding with another vehicle or an object, but not an animal. You first must pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision can pay for things such as colliding with a tree, sustaining damage from a pot hole, rolling your car and sideswiping another vehicle. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so consider dropping it from older vehicles. Another option is to choose a higher deductible on your ILX to bring the cost down.
Coverage for uninsured or underinsured drivers
This coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. Covered claims include medical payments for you and your occupants and damage to your Acura ILX.
Due to the fact that many Maryland drivers have only the minimum liability required by law (Maryland limits are 30/60/15), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. So UM/UIM coverage is very important.
Comprehensive car insurance
Comprehensive insurance covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive can pay for things such as hail damage, vandalism, falling objects and a broken windshield. The maximum amount a car insurance company will pay at claim time is the actual cash value, so if the vehicle is not worth much consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Find cheap rates by comparing often
In this article, we presented a lot of information how to shop for Acura ILX insurance online. It’s most important to understand that the more quotes you get, the higher your chance of finding cheaper Baltimore auto insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the lowest premium rates come from an unexpected company.
Some insurance companies may not provide online price quotes and many times these small, regional companies only sell through independent agencies. Cheaper insurance in Baltimore can be bought online in addition to many Baltimore insurance agents, so you need to compare both to have the best selection.
Consumers change insurance companies for many reasons like unfair underwriting practices, not issuing a premium refund, policy non-renewal and even extreme rates for teen drivers. It doesn’t matter why you want to switch finding a new insurance company is actually quite simple.
Much more information about insurance in Maryland is located at the links below
- Cellphones, Texting and Driving (iihs.org)
- Who Has Affordable Baltimore Car Insurance for a GMC Sierra? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for a Chevrolet Traverse in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Crash Avoidance Technologies FAQ (iihs.org)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)