Shockingly, the vast majority of consumers in Maryland kept their coverage with the same auto insurance company for a minimum of four years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never shopped around. The average driver in America could save 46.5% each year just by shopping around, but most just don’t grasp the benefits if they switch to a new company.
If your goal is the lowest price, then the best way to get cheaper Saturn Ion insurance is to regularly compare quotes from insurers who provide car insurance in Baltimore.
- Take a few minutes and learn about how insurance companies determine prices and the modifications you can make to keep rates down. Many rating factors that increase rates such as speeding tickets, careless driving and a not-so-good credit history can be eliminated by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Get rate quotes from direct, independent, and exclusive agents. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from a single company like Progressive and State Farm, while independent agencies can provide prices from multiple sources.
- Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy to see if switching to a new carrier will save money. If you find better rates and buy the policy, make sure coverage is continuous and does not lapse.
- Provide proper notification to your current company to cancel your current car insurance policy. Submit the completed application along with a down payment to your new agent or company. As soon as you have the new policy, place your new proof of insurance paperwork in an easily accessible location.
One thing to point out is to use similar deductibles and liability limits on each quote and and to get price estimates from as many auto insurance providers as possible. Doing this guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and a complete price analysis.
When quoting auto insurance, remember that comparing a large number of companies will enable you to find the best price.
The companies in the list below provide price comparisons in Baltimore, MD. If you want cheap car insurance in MD, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get a more complete price comparison.
Why you need insurance for your vehicle
Despite the fact that car insurance is not cheap in Baltimore, buying car insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- The majority of states have minimum liability requirements which means the state requires a specific level of liability protection if you want to drive legally. In Maryland these limits are 30/60/15 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a loan, it’s guaranteed your bank will make it mandatory that you have insurance to ensure loan repayment if the vehicle is totaled. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the bank will be required to insure your Saturn for a lot more money and require you to reimburse them the higher premium.
- Car insurance preserves both your assets and your car. It will also pay for all forms of medical expenses that are the result of an accident. One of the most valuable coverages, liability insurance, will also pay to defend you if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your car insurance policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of insuring your car more than cancel out the cost, particularly for liability claims. An average driver in America overpays as much as $855 a year so compare rate quotes at least once a year to ensure rates are competitive.
Discount Baltimore car insurance quotes
Car insurance is neither fun to buy or cheap, but discounts can save money and there are some available that can drop the cost substantially. Some discounts will apply when you complete an application, but a few need to be asked about before they will apply. If you do not check that you are getting every discount possible, you’re paying more than you need to.
- Discount for Good Grades – A discount for being a good student can save 20 to 25%. Most companies allow this discount until age 25.
- Anti-theft System – Anti-theft and alarm system equipped vehicles prevent vehicle theft and can earn a small discount on your policy.
- Seat Belt Discounts – Forcing all vehicle occupants to buckle their seat belts can save a little on medical payment and PIP coverage.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Make teen driver coverage more affordable by requiring them to participate in a local driver’s education class as it will make them better drivers and lower rates.
- Baltimore Homeowners Discount – Simply owning a home can save a few bucks since home ownership demonstrates responsibility.
Keep in mind that some credits don’t apply to your bottom line cost. Some only reduce specific coverage prices like physical damage coverage or medical payments. Even though it may seem like you would end up receiving a 100% discount, you aren’t that lucky.
A few popular companies and some of the discounts can be found below.
- Progressive offers discounts including online signing, multi-policy, online quote discount, continuous coverage, homeowner, multi-vehicle, and good student.
- GEICO may include discounts for military active duty, membership and employees, emergency military deployment, anti-theft, and good student.
- State Farm may have discounts that include good student, anti-theft, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, accident-free, and student away at school.
- Esurance may offer discounts for claim free, emergency road assistance, Pac-12 alumni, defensive driver, renters, anti-lock brakes, and safety device.
- The Hartford policyholders can earn discounts including vehicle fuel type, air bag, bundle, defensive driver, and driver training.
Check with all companies you are considering which credits you are entitled to. A few discounts might not be offered in your area.
Neighborhood insurance agents
Many people still prefer to get advice from a local agent and that is OK! The biggest benefit of getting online price quotes is you may find cheap auto insurance rates but also keep your business local.
To help locate an agent, after submitting this short form, your coverage information is transmitted to insurance agents in Baltimore that provide free Baltimore auto insurance quotes to get your business. You won’t need to contact any insurance agencies as quotes are delivered instantly to you. It’s the lowest rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If you wish to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, just navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
Choosing an provider requires you to look at more than just the premium amount. These are valid questions to ask:
- Are they properly licensed to sell insurance in Maryland?
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Is auto insurance their primary focus in Baltimore?
- Are there any hidden costs in their price quote and does it include driving and credit history?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
Insurance agent types
When looking for a local Baltimore insurance agency, it’s helpful to know the different types of agents that you can select. Agents in Baltimore are either independent agents or exclusive agents.
Exclusive Auto Insurance Agents
Agents that elect to be exclusive work for only one company and some examples include Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot place coverage with different providers so they have no alternatives for high prices. Exclusive insurance agents receive a lot of sales training on their company’s products and that can be a competitive advantage. Drivers often buy from exclusive agents mainly due to the prominent brand name rather than low price.
Below are exclusive insurance agencies in Baltimore who can help you get price quotes.
- Allstate Insurance: John Fisher
7839 Eastpoint Mall Ste 4 – Baltimore, MD 21224 – (410) 285-8200 – View Map
- Raul Braun – State Farm Insurance Agent
8609 Old Harford Rd – Baltimore, MD 21234 – (410) 663-3100 – View Map
- Paul Funk – State Farm Insurance Agent
307 Frederick Rd – Baltimore, MD 21228 – (410) 744-0077 – View Map
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents that elect to be independent do not sell for just one brand so they can quote policies through lots of different companies and get you the best rates possible. If you are not satisfied with one company, the agent simply finds a different carrier and that require little work on your part. If you need lower rates, we highly recommend that you include rate quotes from multiple independent agents to have the best price comparison. Most also have access to companies that do not advertise much which may provide better rates.
Listed below are Baltimore independent insurance agencies willing to provide price quotes.
- Allied Insurance Agency
7840 Eastern Ave – Baltimore, MD 21224 – (410) 282-1111 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Rodgers Insurance Agency Inc
6800 Holabird Ave a – Baltimore, MD 21222 – (410) 282-1379 – View Map
- Ugele Insurance
408 E 25th St – Baltimore, MD 21218 – (410) 366-6566 – View Map
When do I need an agent’s advice?
When selecting coverage online or from an agent, there really is not a “best” method to buy coverage. Your financial needs are unique.
For instance, these questions may help you determine if your insurance needs might need an agent’s assistance.
- How much liability coverage do I need in Maryland?
- Will filing a claim cost me more?
- How long can I keep a teen driver on my policy?
- Why am I be forced to buy a membership to get insurance from some companies?
- What is an umbrella policy?
- Do I need PIP coverage since I have good health insurance?
- Does coverage extend to Mexico or Canada?
- What is roadside assistance coverage?
- Do I really need UM/UIM coverage?
- Will damage be repaired with OEM parts?
If you can’t answer these questions but a few of them apply, then you may want to think about talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, take a second and complete this form.
Shop around and save
The cheapest Saturn Ion insurance in Baltimore can be purchased on the web in addition to many Baltimore insurance agents, so you should be comparing quotes from both to have the best rate selection. Some companies do not offer online rate quotes and these small insurance companies only sell through independent insurance agencies.
Throughout this article, we presented some good ideas how you can get a better price on Saturn Ion insurance in Baltimore. It’s most important to understand that the more you quote Baltimore auto insurance, the better likelihood of getting the cheapest Saturn Ion rate quotes. You may even discover the lowest prices are with some of the smallest insurance companies.
When shopping online for insurance, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are a lot of situations where an insured cut comprehensive coverage or liability limits and learned later that saving that couple of dollars actually costed them tens of thousands. Your objective should be to purchase a proper amount of coverage at the best possible price while still protecting your assets.
More detailed insurance information is located at these sites:
- Reducing Your Risks in a Car Crash Video (iihs.org)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes After a Speeding Ticket in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- What Insurance is Cheapest for Young Drivers in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- How Much are Baltimore Auto Insurance Quotes for Drivers with a DUI? (FAQ)
- How Much is Car Insurance for Unemployed Drivers in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Help Your Teen Be a Better Driver (State Farm)
- Safety Features for Your New Car (State Farm)