Smart shoppers know that auto insurance companies want to prevent you from shopping around. Insureds who compare rates at least once a year are very likely to buy a different policy because of the high probability of finding better rates. Remarkably, a study showed that drivers who made a habit of comparing rate quotes saved approximately $865 annually compared to other drivers who never compared other company’s rates.
If finding the cheapest rates on Mercury Mariner insurance is your ultimate target, then having a grasp of the best way to quote and compare insurance can make the process less intimidating.
If saving the most money is your goal, then the best way to get cheaper auto insurance rates in Baltimore is to compare prices at least once a year from insurance carriers who can sell car insurance in Maryland. Prices can be compared by following these guidelines.
- First, try to comprehend the different coverages in a policy and the changes you can make to prevent expensive coverage. Many policy risk factors that result in higher prices like careless driving and a negative credit history can be amended by improving your driving habits or financial responsibility. This article provides information to get low prices and get additional discounts that may be available.
- Second, compare price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can give quotes from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agencies can give you price quotes from multiple companies. Click to view companies
- Third, compare the new rate quotes to the price on your current policy and see if you can save money. If you find a lower rate quote and make a switch, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
- Fourth, give proper notification to your current agent or company to cancel your current auto insurance policy and submit a down payment and signed policy application to the new company. As soon as you can, store the proof of insurance certificate in an easily accessible location in your vehicle.
A good piece of advice is to try to compare the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each price quote and and to get quotes from as many car insurance companies as possible. Doing this ensures the most accurate price comparison and a complete rate analysis.
Our goal in writing this article tell you the most effective way to quote insurance and how you can save the most money. If you are insured now, you will definitely be able to get lower rates using the concepts covered in this article. Smart buyers just have to understand the least time-consuming way to compare price quotes online.
Car insurance providers offering cheap prices in Maryland
The companies shown below are ready to provide price comparisons in Baltimore, MD. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit as many as you can to get a more complete price comparison.
Detailed insurance information
The price information below outlines detailed analysis of rate quotes for Mercury Mariner models. Being more informed about how insurance prices are formulated is important for drivers to make decisions on which insurance to purchase.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Mariner Premier 2WD||$186||$376||$448||$26||$134||$1,170||$98|
|Mariner Hybrid 2WD||$186||$442||$528||$32||$158||$1,346||$112|
|Mariner Premier AWD||$210||$376||$448||$26||$134||$1,194||$100|
|Mariner Hybrid AWD||$210||$442||$528||$32||$158||$1,370||$114|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Premium data assumes single female driver age 40, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $1000 deductibles, and Maryland minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, homeowner, safe-driver, and multi-vehicle. Estimates do not factor in specific location information which can modify price quotes substantially.
The information below highlights how deductible selection and can impact Mercury Mariner insurance premiums for each age group. The prices are based on a single male driver, comp and collision included, and no discounts are applied to the premium.
Male drivers versus female drivers
The diagram below visualizes the comparison of Mercury Mariner auto insurance rates for male and female drivers. The premiums are based on no claims or driving citations, full physical damage coverage, $1,000 deductibles, drivers are single, and no policy discounts are applied.
Cost of full coverage in Baltimore
The illustration below illustrates the difference between Mercury Mariner premium costs with full coverage and liability only. The costs are based on no accidents, no driving violations, $100 deductibles, drivers are single, and no discounts are factored in.
When to drop comprehensive and collision coverage
There is no specific rule of when to phase out physical damage coverage, but there is a general guideline you can use. If the annual cost of comprehensive and collision coverage is 10% or more of the replacement cost minus the deductible, then it could be time to drop full coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Mercury Mariner replacement value is $4,000 and you have $1,000 deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, you would only receive $3,000 after paying the physical damage deductible. If you are currently paying more than $300 annually for full coverage, then it might be time to consider dropping full coverage.
There are a few situations where dropping physical damage coverage is not recommended. If you haven’t satisfied your loan, you have to keep full coverage to protect the lienholder’s interest in the vehicle. Also, if you don’t have enough money to buy a different vehicle in the even your car is totaled, you should keep full coverage in place.
Lower rate quotes by applying discounts
Some insurance providers do not list their entire list of discounts very well, so the next list breaks down both well-publicized in addition to some of the lesser obvious discounts that may be available.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles can reduce accidents so companies give up to a 10% discount.
- Passenger Safety Discount – Factory air bags or automatic seat belts can get savings as much as 30%.
- Good Students Pay Less – Performing well in school can save 20 to 25%. The discount lasts up until you turn 25.
- Discounts for Government Workers – Active or retired federal employment can earn a discount up to 10% with some car insurance companies.
- Military Deployment Discount – Having an actively deployed family member could mean lower rates.
- Multi-line Discount – Larger car insurance companies have a small discount if you purchase some life insurance in addition to your auto policy.
One thing to note about discounts is that most of the big mark downs will not be given to the entire cost. The majority will only reduce the cost of specific coverages such as comprehensive or collision. Just because you may think you could get a free car insurance policy, it’s just not the way it works.
The diagram below compares Mercury Mariner annual premium costs with and without policy discounts. The prices are based on a male driver, no driving violations, no at-fault accidents, Maryland state minimum liability limits, full coverage, and $250 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with marriage, multi-car, multi-policy, claim-free, safe-driver, and homeowner discounts applied.
Companies who may offer many of the previously listed discounts possibly include:
Before purchasing a policy, check with each company or agent how you can save money. Some credits might not be offered in your state. To find car insurance companies who offer discounts in Maryland, click this link.
Why Your Insurance Prices might be higher
An important part of buying insurance is that you know some of the things that play a part in calculating your premiums. When you understand what influences your rates, this allows you to make good choices that will entitle you to lower auto insurance prices.
The following are some of the factors utilized by car insurance companies to help set premiums.
Driving citations increase rates – Careful drivers have lower premiums as compared to careless drivers. Even one speeding ticket can increase the cost of insurance by twenty percent. People who have flagrant violations such as reckless driving or DUI may find that they have to to complete a SR-22 with their state DMV in order to prevent a license revocation.
The example below illustrates how violations and at-fault accidents drive up Mercury Mariner insurance premiums for different categories of driver ages. The information is based on a single female driver, comp and collision included, $100 deductibles, and no policy discounts are applied.
Driver age impacts rates – Young drivers in Maryland have been known to be careless and easily distracted when at the wheel of a vehicle so auto insurance rates are higher. Older drivers have been proven to be more responsible, tend to file fewer claims, and are safer drivers.
The following data is based on a single driver, full coverage with $250 deductibles, and no discounts or violations.
- Do you have a high stress job? – Did you know your occupation can influence how much you pay for auto insurance? Jobs such as military generals, social workers, and emergency personnel generally have the highest average rates in part from intense work situations and long work hours. Conversely, jobs like professors, athletes and the unemployed get better rates.
- Never go without auto insurance – Driving any period of time without insurance is a big no-no and you may have a hard time finding new coverage because you let your coverage cancel without a new policy in place. In addition to paying higher premiums, failure to provide proof of insurance might get you a hefty fine and possibly a revoked license. You may then be required to submit proof of financial responsibility or a SR-22 with the Maryland motor vehicle department.
Compare rates but buy from a local Baltimore insurance agency
Some people just want to sit down and talk to an agent and that can be a smart move Most agents can help you build your policy and help in the event of a claim. An additional benefit of comparing auto insurance online is you may find cheaper car insurance rates and still have a local agent. And providing support for neighborhood insurance agencies is important particularly in Baltimore.
To find an agent, once you fill out this simple form, your coverage information is sent to companies in Baltimore that give free quotes to get your business. There is no need to search for any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered straight to your inbox. In the event you want to get a comparison quote from a specific insurance company, you would need to navigate to their website and give them your coverage information.
If you would like to find a reliable agent, it’s important to understand the different types of agencies and how they differ in how they can insure your vehicles. Baltimore agents are categorized either independent agents or exclusive agents depending on their employer. Either one can properly insure your vehicles, but it’s important to know the difference between them because it can factor into which type of agent you select.
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Independent agencies do not write with just one company and that gives them the ability to insure with any number of different companies and potentially find a lower price. If they quote lower rates, they simply move the coverage in-house and you can keep the same agent. When comparing auto insurance prices, we recommend you get some free quotes from several independent agencies to have the most options to choose from.
The following is a list of independent insurance agencies in Baltimore that may be able to give you free rate quotes.
Exclusive Insurance Agencies
Agents of this type normally can only provide a single company’s rates and examples are American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. These agents are unable to provide other company’s prices so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive insurance agents receive a lot of sales training on the products they sell which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums.
The following is a list of exclusive agencies in Baltimore who can help you get comparison quotes.
Selecting an insurance agency needs to be determined by more than just a cheap quote. Agents should be asked these questions:
- How long has their agency been in business in Baltimore?
- Which company do they place the most coverage with?
- Are claims handled at the agent’s location?
- Are there any discounts for paying up front?
- How many companies do they write for?
- How often do they review coverages?
Be persistent to save money
When buying insurance coverage, it’s very important that you do not buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In many instances, someone dropped uninsured motorist or liability limits and found out when filing a claim that it was a big error on their part. Your objective should be to purchase plenty of coverage for the lowest price, not the least amount of coverage.
Lower-priced insurance in Baltimore can be purchased online and also from your neighborhood Baltimore agents, so you need to quote Baltimore auto insurance with both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. Some insurance providers do not provide online quoting and most of the time these small, regional companies only sell coverage through independent agencies.
More detailed insurance information is located in these articles:
- State Laws for Cellphones and Texting (iihs.org)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Uninsured Drivers in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Baltimore Car Insurance Quotes for Drivers Over Age 60? (FAQ)
- What Auto Insurance is Cheapest for Police Officers in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for a Kia Optima in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Determining Your Vehicle’s Value and Repair Cost (Insurance Information Institute)
- Hybrid vehicles cost insurers more (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Insurance Losses by Make and Model (iihs.org)
- How Can I Save Money on Auto Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)