A recent insurance study revealed that nearly 70% of consumers kept their policy with the same company for a minimum of four years, and about 40% of consumers have never compared insurance rates at all. Drivers in America can cut their rates by approximately 46.5% a year by just comparing rate quotes, but they don’t want to spend time to find cheaper insurance rates.
If you want to save the most money, the best way to get cheaper car insurance rates in Baltimore is to do an annual price comparison from companies in Maryland. You can compare rates by following these steps.
- Read and learn about individual coverages and the factors you can control to prevent high rates. Many policy risk factors that are responsible for high rates such as careless driving and poor credit history can be eliminated by being financially responsible and driving safely.
- Obtain price quotes from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive agents and direct companies can provide rates from one company like GEICO or State Farm, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes for a wide range of insurance providers. Compare rates now
- Compare the new rate quotes to your current policy premium and see if there is a cheaper rate. If you can save some money, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
The most important part of shopping around is to try to compare similar deductibles and liability limits on each quote and to quote with as many companies as possible. This enables a fair price comparison and a good representation of prices.
The following companies have been selected to offer free rate quotes in Maryland. To buy the best car insurance in Maryland, it’s a good idea that you visit as many as you can in order to find the most competitive rates.
Earn discounts on Baltimore insurance
Some companies don’t necessarily list every discount available very clearly, so the following is a list of a few of the more common and the more hidden discounts you could be receiving when you buy Baltimore auto insurance online. If you’re not getting every credit you deserve, you could be paying more than you need to.
- Accident Free – Insureds with no claims or accidents pay less as compared to policyholders that have many claims.
- Multi-car Discount – Insuring several vehicles with the same insurance company can reduce rates for all insured vehicles.
- Lower Rates for Military – Having an actively deployed family member could be rewarded with lower insurance rates.
- Driver Training Discounts – Completing a course teaching defensive driver skills could cut 5% off your bill depending on where you live.
- Telematics Data – Insureds that choose to allow data collection to spy on driving patterns remotely such as In-Drive from State Farm or Allstate’s Drivewise system could save a few bucks if their driving habits are good.
- Discounts for Seat Belt Usage – Buckling up and requiring all passengers to buckle up can save up to 10 percent (depending on the company) off the medical payments premium.
- Discounts for New Vehicles – Buying a new car instead of a used S2000 can save up to 30% since new model year vehicles have better safety ratings.
- Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents could pay up to 40% less as compared to drivers with claims.
- Home Ownership Discount – Simply owning a home can save you money since owning and maintaining a home requires personal responsibility.
- Air Bags and Passive Restraints – Cars that have air bags or automatic seat belts may get savings of more than 20%.
As a footnote on discounts, most of the big mark downs will not be given to all coverage premiums. A few only apply to specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. If you do the math and it seems like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, insurance companies aren’t that generous.
Some of the larger companies that have many of the previously listed discounts include:
When comparing rates, check with all the companies the best way to save money. Depending on the company, some discounts might not be offered on policies everywhere. If you would like to choose from a list of insurance companies that provide some of the discounts listed above in Maryland, click here.
Auto insurance agents near you
A small number of people would rather talk to a local agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Insurance agents are very good at helping people manage risk and help file insurance claims. The best thing about getting free rate quotes online is the fact that drivers can get cheap auto insurance rates and still have a local agent. Buying from and supporting small agencies is important particularly in Baltimore.
By using this simple form, the coverage information is transmitted to local insurance agents in Baltimore who will give you bids for your insurance coverage. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to leave your computer because prices are sent to your email. In the event you want to quote rates from one company in particular, you just need to search and find their rate quote page and fill out the quote form the provide.
Choose the right auto insurance agent
If you are searching for a reputable insurance agent or broker, you need to know there are two types of insurance agents and how they are distinctly different. Baltimore agents may be either exclusive or independent. Both write policy coverage, but it’s important to point out the subtle differences because it can influence the kind of agent you use.
Independent Insurance Agents
These agents are not required to write business for one company and that enables them to quote your coverage through lots of different companies and potentially find a lower price. If your agent finds better pricing, an independent agent can move your coverage and you don’t have to do anything. If you are trying to find cheaper rates, you need to include at a minimum one independent agency to have the best price comparison. A lot of them also have access to mutual insurance companies which can be an advantage.
Listed below is a small list of independent agencies in Baltimore who may be able to give you free price quotes.
- Nationwide Insurance: Bruce Cohee Agency Inc
502 Baltimore Ave – Towson, MD 21204 – (410) 823-8777 – View Map
- Maryland Auto Insurance (the new MAIF)
1215 E Fort Ave #300 – Baltimore, MD 21230 – (800) 492-7120 – View Map
- Baltimore Insurance Network
11 E Lexington St – Baltimore, MD 21202 – (443) 869-6424 – View Map
Exclusive insurance agents can usually just insure with one company and examples are AAA, Allstate, State Farm, or Farmers Insurance. They usually cannot give you multiple price quotes so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive agencies are usually well trained on their company’s products which helps them sell on service rather than price. Some insured continue to choose to use an exclusive agent mostly because of the prominence of the brand rather than having the cheapest rates.
Listed below is a short list of exclusive insurance agents in Baltimore that are able to give comparison quotes.
- Aja Green – State Farm Insurance Agent
7635 Belair Rd – Baltimore, MD 21236 – (410) 882-9433 – View Map
- Allstate Insurance: Jim Craig
2829 O’Donnell St – Baltimore, MD 21224 – (410) 522-6100 – View Map
- Joe Lawton – State Farm Insurance Agent
9008 Harford Rd – Baltimore, MD 21234 – (410) 665-0243 – View Map
Choosing an car insurance agent should include more criteria than just a cheap price. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
- Is the agent CPCU or CIC certified?
- Are they able to provide referrals?
- Are you getting all the discounts the company offers?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- How many years of experience in personal auto insurance do they have?
Baltimore car insurance company ratings
Buying coverage from the right insurance provider can be a challenge considering how many different companies there are to choose from in Baltimore. The company ratings below can help you analyze which auto insurance companies to look at comparing rate quotes with.
Top 10 Baltimore Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- Mercury Insurance
- American Family
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- The Hartford
- The General
- 21st Century
Auto insurance coverage information
Understanding the coverages of your car insurance policy can be of help when determining the best coverages for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be difficult to understand and nobody wants to actually read their policy.
Liability coverages – Liability coverage provides protection from injuries or damage you cause to other people or property that is your fault. Split limit liability has three limits of coverage: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You commonly see values of 30/60/15 that translate to a limit of $30,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $60,000, and property damage coverage for $15,000. Alternatively, you may have a combined limit which combines the three limits into one amount without having the split limit caps.
Liability coverage pays for claims like pain and suffering, bail bonds, structural damage and emergency aid. How much coverage you buy is a decision to put some thought into, but it’s cheap coverage so purchase as large an amount as possible. Maryland state law requires minimum liability limits of 30/60/15 but you should consider buying more coverage.
The illustration below shows why buying minimum limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Medical payments coverage and PIP – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP kick in for bills for things like hospital visits, doctor visits, surgery and dental work. They are often used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. It covers not only the driver but also the vehicle occupants in addition to being hit by a car walking across the street. PIP is not available in all states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Comprehensive coverage – This covers damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first have to pay a deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive insurance covers claims like a broken windshield, damage from getting keyed, falling objects, theft and rock chips in glass. The maximum payout your car insurance company will pay is the market value of your vehicle, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider dropping full coverage.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage – Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle’s occupants when other motorists either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since many Maryland drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (30/60/15), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is important protection for you and your family. Normally your uninsured/underinsured motorist coverages are set the same as your liability limits.
Collision coverage – Collision insurance covers damage to your S2000 resulting from colliding with an object or car. A deductible applies then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision coverage protects against claims such as backing into a parked car, colliding with another moving vehicle, hitting a mailbox and hitting a parking meter. Collision is rather expensive coverage, so you might think about dropping it from vehicles that are 8 years or older. You can also raise the deductible on your S2000 to get cheaper collision coverage.
Find cheaper rates by being thorough
As you quote Baltimore auto insurance, you should never sacrifice coverage to reduce premiums. There are too many instances where consumers will sacrifice comprehensive coverage or liability limits only to find out that it was a big mistake. The proper strategy is to buy a smart amount of coverage at an affordable rate and still be able to protect your assets.
Consumers change insurance companies for any number of reasons including lack of trust in their agent, poor customer service, questionable increases in premium or policy cancellation. Whatever your reason, switching companies is easier than you think.
We just showed you many ways to compare Honda S2000 insurance prices in Baltimore. The most important thing to understand is the more companies you get rates for, the higher the chance of saving money. You may even discover the lowest prices are with the smaller companies.
To learn more, link through to the resources below:
- Pickups fall short in headlight tests (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- How Much are Baltimore Auto Insurance Quotes for Real Estate Agents? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for a 20 Year Old Male in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Quotes for a Honda CR-V in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Keeping Children Safe in Crashes Video (iihs.org)
- Bodily Injury Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- What if I Can’t Find Coverage? (Insurance Information Institute)