Unbelievable but true, about 70% of customers have remained with the same insurance company for at least four years, and just under half have never shopped around. Many consumers in Maryland could pocket $750 a year by just comparing quotes, but most undervalue the big savings they would realize if they swap their current policy for a cheaper one.
It takes a little time, but the best way to find the cheapest price for car insurance rates is to start comparing prices yearly from different companies who sell auto insurance in Baltimore.
- It will benefit you to learn about how companies price auto insurance and the modifications you can make to keep rates down. Many factors that result in higher rates such as at-fault accidents, careless driving, and poor credit rating can be controlled by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Continue reading for more details to find cheap prices and get additional discounts that may have been overlooked.
- Compare rates from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Exclusive and direct companies can only quote rates from one company like Progressive or Farmers Insurance, while independent agents can provide prices from multiple sources.
- Compare the new rates to the premium of your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find better rates and decide to switch, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
- Provide adequate notice to your current company of your intention to cancel your current coverage and submit a signed application and payment to your new agent or company. When you receive it, place the new proof of insurance certificate with your registration paperwork.
One important bit of advice is to try to use similar limits and deductibles on each quote request and and to get price quotes from as many companies as you can. This guarantees an apples-to-apples comparison and a thorough selection of prices.
Getting a cheaper price on insurance is a great way to save money. The only requirement is to take time to compare rate quotes to discover which company has affordable Kia Spectra insurance quotes.
Comparing free quotes online is easy and it, takes the place of having to drive to each insurance agency near you. Shopping for car insurance online can eliminate the need for a local agent unless you’re the type of person who wants the guidance of a local agency. You can, however, compare the best prices online but purchase the actual policy in an agency.
The following companies are our best choices to provide quotes in Maryland. To locate cheap auto insurance in MD, it’s a good idea that you click on several of them to get the most competitive price.
Auto insurance is not optional
Despite the fact that auto insurance is not cheap in Baltimore, insurance is required by state law in Maryland and it also provides benefits you may not be aware of.
- The majority of states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability coverage in order to be legal. In Maryland these limits are 30/60/15 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your Spectra has a loan, almost all lenders will make it mandatory that you have insurance to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you default on your policy, the lender may have to buy a policy to insure your Kia at a much higher premium rate and make you pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance safeguards both your car and your assets. It also can pay for most medical and hospital costs for you, any passengers, and anyone injured in an accident. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also covers all legal expenses up to the policy limit if you cause an accident and are sued. If your vehicle suffers damage from an accident or hail, your policy will pay all costs to repair after the deductible has been paid.
The benefits of insuring your car are without a doubt worth the cost, specifically if you ever have a liability claim. Today the average American driver is overpaying more than $810 a year so compare quotes from several companies at every policy renewal to ensure rates are competitive.
Smart Buyers Can Cut Insurance Costs
A large part of saving on car insurance is knowing the factors that help determine the rates you pay for car insurance. When you understand what influences your rates, this helps enable you to make changes that may result in better car insurance rates.
The factors shown below are a few of the things utilized by car insurance companies to help set your premiums.
Five star crash test rating saves money – Cars with high safety ratings get lower rates. The safest vehicles reduce occupant injuries and any reduction in injury severity means less money paid by your insurance company and more competitive rates for policyholders. If your Kia has ratings of a minimum four stars on Safercar.gov it is probably cheaper to insure.
City dwellers may pay more – Living in a rural area is a good thing when it comes to car insurance. Drivers in populated areas regularly have much more traffic and much longer commute distances. Lower population means reduced accidents.
Men pay higher rates – Over time, data shows that women are safer drivers than men. It does not mean men are worse drivers. Men and women cause accidents at about the same rate, but men tend to have higher claims. Men also tend to have more aggressive citations such as driving while intoxicated (DWI) or driving recklessly.
Insurance is expensive for youthful drivers – Older, more experienced drivers are more responsible, cause fewer claims and accidents, and get fewer tickets. Beginning drivers are known to be less responsible when driving so they pay higher car insurance rates.
Don’t let your coverage lapse – Allowing your coverage to lapse is a quick way to trigger a rate increase. In addition to paying higher rates, being ticketed for driving with no insurance could result in fines and jail time. You will then be forced to provide proof of insurance in the form of an SR-22 filing with the Maryland motor vehicle department to get your license reinstated.
Single drivers take more risk – Having a significant other actually saves money on car insurance. It demonstrates that you tend to be more mature than a single person it has been statistically shown that drivers who are married are more cautious.
Liability coverage – Liability coverage will protect you when a court rules you are at fault for damages caused by your negligence. This coverage provides you with a defense in court which can cost a lot. Carrying liability coverage is mandatory and cheap compared to physical damage coverage, so do not skimp.
There’s no such thing as the perfect auto insurance policy
Always keep in mind that when comparing your policy for your vehicles, there is no “perfect” insurance plan. You are unique so this has to be addressed.
For example, these questions could help you determine if your insurance needs might need an agent’s assistance.
- Do I benefit by insuring my home with the same company?
- Does my insurance cover damage caused when ticketed for reckless driving?
- When do I need to add a new car to my policy?
- What is motorclub and do I need it?
- Is my camper covered by my car insurance policy?
- What does UM/UIM cover?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- How many claims can I have before being canceled?
- What if a claim settlement is too low?
If you don’t know the answers to these questions but you know they apply to you, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. If you don’t have a local agent, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies. It only takes a few minutes and may give you better protection.
Best auto insurance in Baltimore
Picking the right insurance company can be a challenge considering how many choices drivers have in Baltimore. The rank data shown below could help you choose which auto insurance companies you want to consider to insure your vehicles.
Top 10 Baltimore Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Customer Satisfaction
- USAA – 91%
- AAA Insurance – 90%
- Esurance – 90%
- Mercury Insurance – 89%
- Nationwide – 89%
- Travelers – 88%
- Progressive – 88%
- Safeco Insurance – 88%
- State Farm – 88%
- Allstate – 88%
Top 10 Baltimore Car Insurance Companies Ranked by Value
- Mercury Insurance
- American Family
- AAA Insurance
- Safeco Insurance
- The Hartford
- The General
- 21st Century
Cover all your bases
We just showed you a lot of tips how to find cheap Kia Spectra insurance in Baltimore. It’s most important to understand that the more providers you compare, the higher the chance of saving money. Drivers may even discover the most savings is with some of the lesser-known companies. Some small companies may cover specific market segments cheaper than their larger competitors like State Farm or Progressive.
While you’re price shopping online, it’s not a good idea to buy less coverage just to save a little money. In too many instances, someone sacrificed collision coverage only to regret at claim time they didn’t have enough coverage. The aim is to buy a smart amount of coverage at the best possible price while still protecting your assets.
Additional information is available at these links:
- Can I Drive Legally without Insurance? (Insurance Information Institute)
- How Much are Car Insurance Quotes After a Speeding Ticket in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Car Insurance Quotes for Uber Drivers in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Collision Coverage (Liberty Mutual)
- Child Safety Seats (Insurance Information Institute)