It’s well known that insurance companies don’t want customers comparing rates. People who compare rates once a year will, in all likelihood, switch companies because there are good odds of finding lower rate quotes. Surprisingly, a recent survey revealed that consumers who regularly compared price quotes saved over $850 each year compared to drivers who never shopped around for lower prices.
If finding discount rates on insurance in Baltimore is your ultimate objective, knowing the best way to compare coverages can make shopping around easier.
The easiest way to get discount Volkswagen e-Golf insurance is to start doing an annual price comparison from insurance carriers who sell insurance in Baltimore.
Step 1: Try to learn a little about how insurance works and the modifications you can make to keep rates low. Many rating criteria that result in higher rates like careless driving and a negative credit history can be improved by making small lifestyle or driving habit changes. Keep reading for more ideas to help prevent costly coverage and find available discounts that you may qualify for.
Step 2: Obtain price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from a single company like GEICO and Allstate, while independent agents can provide rate quotes from many different companies.
Step 3: Compare the price quotes to your current policy to determine if switching companies saves money. If you find better rates, ensure there is no coverage lapse between policies.
A valuable tip to remember is to use the same physical damage deductibles and liability limits on each price quote and and to analyze as many companies as feasibly possible. Doing this helps ensure a fair price comparison and many rates to choose from.
The purpose of this post is to let you in on how to compare rates easily. If you are paying for car insurance now, you will be able to find better prices using this information. But Maryland car owners can benefit by having an understanding of how insurance companies determine what you pay because it can help you find the best coverage.
To get affordable Baltimore auto insurance quotes, there a variety of ways of comparing rates from companies that offer auto insurance in Maryland. The best way to compare Volkswagen e-Golf insurance prices is to get quotes online.
It’s so easy to compare quotes online that it makes it obsolete to physically go to and from local Baltimore insurance agencies. Buying insurance online eliminates the middleman unless you prefer the extra assistance that only an agent can give. You can, however, comparison shop online but buy the policy through an agent. Just keep in mind that comparing more prices will enable you to find the best price.
The companies in the list below offer free quotes in Maryland. If you want the cheapest car insurance in Maryland, it’s a good idea that you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Insurance is not optional
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Volkswagen in Baltimore, paying for insurance serves an important purpose.
- Just about all states have mandatory insurance requirements which means you are required to carry a minimum amount of liability coverage if you don’t want to risk a ticket. In Maryland these limits are 30/60/15 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your e-Golf has a loan, it’s most likely the lender will force you to buy full coverage to guarantee loan repayment. If you let the policy lapse, the bank may insure your Volkswagen at a much higher premium rate and require you to pay much more than you were paying before.
- Insurance protects your car and your assets. It will also pay for medical bills for not only you but also any passengers injured in an accident. Liability coverage also pays for attorney fees and expenses if you are sued as the result of an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive (other-than-collision) and collision coverage will pay to repair the damage minus the deductible amount.
The benefits of having insurance more than offset the price you pay, particularly when you have a large claim. According to a survey of 1,000 drivers, the average driver overpays more than $869 every year so you should quote and compare rates each time the policy renews to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Discounts can help lower rates on Volkswagen e-Golf insurance in Baltimore
The cost of insuring your cars can be expensive, but discounts can save money and there are some available that could drop your premiums quite a bit. Larger premium reductions will be automatically applied when you quote, but a few need to be asked about in order for you to get them.
- Anti-lock Brake System – Anti-lock brake equipped vehicles have fewer accidents and the ABS can save up to 10%.
- Homeowners Savings – Just being a homeowner may earn you a small savings because maintaining a house is proof that your finances are in order.
- Drive Safe and Save – Safe drivers can pay as much as 50% less than less cautious drivers.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Cut your cost by having your teen driver participate in a local driver’s education class if it’s offered in school.
- Telematics Devices – Insureds that choose to allow driving data collection to track when and where they use their vehicle by using a telematics device such as Snapshot from Progressive or Drivewise from Allstate could see a rate decrease if they have good driving habits.
- Student in College – Older children who are attending college and don’t have a car may be insured at a cheaper rate.
- Auto/Life Discount – If the company offers life insurance, you could get a small discount if you purchase life insurance.
- Active Military Service – Being deployed in the military could trigger a small discount.
Don’t be shocked that most discount credits are not given to the entire policy premium. Some only apply to specific coverage prices like comp or med pay. So even though you would think you could get a free auto insurance policy, companies wouldn’t make money that way.
Companies and their offered discounts are included below.
- GEICO may have discounts that include emergency military deployment, anti-theft, daytime running lights, multi-policy, air bags, and five-year accident-free.
- Auto-Owners Insurance policyholders can earn discounts including paid in full, air bags, multi-policy, student away at school, and anti-lock brakes.
- American Family has discounts for good driver, early bird, good student, TimeAway discount, air bags, and defensive driver.
- Esurance may offer discounts for anti-theft, anti-lock brakes, paid-in-full, Switch & Save, and multi-policy.
- Progressive may include discounts for online signing, multi-vehicle, continuous coverage, homeowner, good student, multi-policy, and online quote discount.
- State Farm includes discounts for Steer Clear safe driver discount, multiple autos, multiple policy, accident-free, safe vehicle, good driver, and good student.
- AAA offers discounts including AAA membership discount, anti-theft, good driver, education and occupation, and multi-car.
Check with every prospective company which discounts you may be entitled to. All car insurance discounts might not apply in every state.
Car insurance quotes from local Baltimore insurance agents
Some people just want to visit with an insurance agent and often times that is recommended One of the best bonuses of comparing rate quotes online is you may find lower premium rates and still have an agent to talk to. Buying from and supporting local agencies is definitely important in Baltimore.
Once you complete this form (opens in new window), your information is transmitted to agents in your area that provide free Baltimore auto insurance quotes to get your business. You never need to contact any insurance agencies due to the fact that quote results will go immediately to your email address. You’ll get the best rates and work with a local agent. If you need to get a rate quote from a specific insurance company, you can always find their quoting web page and fill out their quote form.
When searching for a reliable insurance agent, you must know there are a couple different agency structures and how they are distinctly different. Agents in Baltimore are considered either exclusive agents or independent agents.
Independent Agencies or Brokers
Agents in the independent channel are appointed with more than one company and that is an advantage because they can write policies with multiple insurance companies and possibly get better coverage at lower prices. If you want to switch companies, the business is moved internally which makes it simple for you. When searching for an agent, you absolutely need to get insurance quotes from a couple of independent agencies to get the most accurate price comparison.
The following is a partial list of independent insurance agents in Baltimore that may be able to provide rate quotes.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Exclusive agents normally can only provide a single company’s rates like State Farm, AAA, and Liberty Mutual. They usually cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so it’s a take it or leave it situation. Exclusive agencies are well trained on sales techniques which aids in selling service over price.
Listed below are exclusive agents in Baltimore willing to provide comparison quotes.
Valerie Cherry – State Farm Insurance Agent
6800 York Road – Baltimore, MD 21212 – (410) 435-6600 – View Map
Finding a good car insurance agent shouldn’t rely on just the quoted price. These are some questions your agent should answer.
- Does the agent help file claims?
- Which insurance company do they prefer to write with?
- Are they paid to recommend certain coverages?
- If your car is in the repair shop, do you have coverage for a rental car?
- Do they see any coverage gaps in your plan?
- Will they make sure you get an adequate claim settlement?
- How much experience to they have in personal lines coverages?
Upon receiving satisfactory answers and cheaper e-Golf insurance quotes, it’s a good possibility that you have found a car insurance agent that will service your policy.
Don’t assume everyone needs the same auto insurance coverage
When it comes to a policy, there is no one-size-fits-all type of policy. Everyone’s needs are different and a cookie cutter policy won’t apply.
For example, these questions might help in determining if you will benefit from professional help.
- Who does medical payments coverage extend to?
- Do I need special endorsements for business use of my vehicle?
- Is motorclub coverage worth it?
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
- What can I do if my company denied a claim?
- Does insurance cover tools stolen from my truck?
- Does my insurance cover a custom paint job?
- Are combined or split liability limits better?
- Am I covered if hit by an uninsured driver?
- How much liability do I need to cover my assets?
If it’s difficult to answer those questions, you might consider talking to an insurance agent. To find lower rates from a local agent, simply complete this short form or go to this page to view a list of companies.
Auto insurance 101
Understanding the coverages of your insurance policy can help you determine appropriate coverage for your vehicles. The coverage terms in a policy can be confusing and even agents have difficulty translating policy wording. Shown next are typical coverages offered by insurance companies.
This covers damage to your e-Golf caused by collision with another car or object. You will need to pay your deductible then your collision coverage will kick in.
Collision insurance covers claims such as rolling your car, sustaining damage from a pot hole and damaging your car on a curb. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from older vehicles. Another option is to choose a higher deductible on your e-Golf in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist (UM/UIM)
Your UM/UIM coverage gives you protection from other motorists when they are uninsured or don’t have enough coverage. Covered losses include injuries to you and your family as well as your vehicle’s damage.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (Maryland limits are 30/60/15), it doesn’t take a major accident to exceed their coverage limits. That’s why carrying high Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage is a good idea. Frequently the UM/UIM limits are identical to your policy’s liability coverage.
Med pay and Personal Injury Protection (PIP)
Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for immediate expenses for things like funeral costs, doctor visits and dental work. The coverages can be used to cover expenses not covered by your health insurance program or if there is no health insurance coverage. Medical payments and PIP cover you and your occupants and also covers if you are hit as a while walking down the street. PIP is only offered in select states and gives slightly broader coverage than med pay
Comprehensive insurance coverage will pay to fix damage caused by mother nature, theft, vandalism and other events. You first must pay your deductible and then insurance will cover the rest of the damage.
Comprehensive can pay for claims like damage from getting keyed, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, damage from flooding and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The maximum payout you’ll receive from a claim is the cash value of the vehicle, so if it’s not worth much more than your deductible consider dropping full coverage.
This can cover damage that occurs to a person or their property by causing an accident. This coverage protects you against claims from other people, and does not provide coverage for damage to your own property or vehicle.
Coverage consists of three different limits, per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. As an example, you may have liability limits of 30/60/15 that translate to a $30,000 limit per person for injuries, a limit of $60,000 in injury protection per accident, and a total limit of $15,000 for damage to vehicles and property. Some companies may use a combined single limit or CSL which combines the three limits into one amount with no separate limits for injury or property damage.
Liability coverage protects against claims like emergency aid, attorney fees, structural damage and bail bonds. How much coverage you buy is your choice, but you should buy as large an amount as possible. Maryland requires drivers to carry at least 30/60/15 but drivers should carry more liability than the minimum.
The illustration below shows why buying minimum limits may not be enough coverage.
Quote more to save more
When trying to cut insurance costs, it’s very important that you do not reduce needed coverages to save money. There are a lot of situations where an accident victim reduced collision coverage and learned later they didn’t have enough coverage. Your objective should be to buy enough coverage at the best possible price.
The cheapest Volkswagen e-Golf insurance in Baltimore is definitely available online and from local insurance agents, and you need to comparison shop both in order to have the best price selection to choose from. A few companies do not offer rate quotes online and usually these small, regional companies prefer to sell through local independent agents.
We just showed you quite a bit of information on how to find cheaper Volkswagen e-Golf insurance in Baltimore. The most important thing to understand is the more you quote Baltimore auto insurance, the better your chances of lowering your premium rates. You may even discover the best price on insurance is with the least-expected company. They can often provide lower premium rates in certain areas as compared to the big name companies such as State Farm and Allstate.
Additional insurance information can be read at these links:
- Side Impact Crash Tests (iihs.org)
- How Much are Auto Insurance Quotes for a Ford Fusion in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Rearview cameras reduce backing crashes (Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- Driving in Bad Weather (Insurance Information Institute)