If you want to find the absolute lowest rates, then the best way to find low-cost prices for car insurance rates in Baltimore is to make a habit of comparing prices annually from companies that insure vehicles in Maryland. Price quotes can be compared by following these steps.
- First, read and learn about how your policy works and the things you can control to keep rates down. Many rating factors that cause rate increases such as traffic citations and an imperfect credit history can be eliminated by making minor changes to your lifestyle.
- Second, obtain price quotes from exclusive agents, independent agents, and direct providers. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can provide rates from one company like Progressive and State Farm, while agents who are independent can quote prices for a wide range of insurance providers.
- Third, compare the price quotes to your current policy and see if you can save money. If you can save some money and buy the policy, make sure there is no lapse between the expiration of your current policy and the new one.
The most important part of shopping around is to make sure you’re comparing similar coverage information on every quote request and and to get price quotes from as many companies as possible. Doing this guarantees the most accurate price comparison and many rates to choose from.
Inconceivable but true, a large majority of drivers have purchased from the same company for a minimum of four years, and nearly 40% of drivers have never compared rates with other companies. Many drivers in America could save approximately $859 each year just by comparing rates, but they won’t spend time to compare rates and save money.
The companies in the list below provide free rate quotes in Baltimore, MD. If you want the best cheap car insurance in MD, we suggest you visit several of them in order to find the cheapest rates.
Affordable rates by taking advantage of these eight discounts
Companies offering auto insurance don’t always advertise every available discount very clearly, so we researched a few of the more well known and also the lesser-known savings tricks you should be using when you buy Baltimore auto insurance online.
- Save with a New Car – Buying insurance on a new vehicle can be considerably cheaper because newer models keep occupants safer.
- Life Insurance – If the company offers life insurance, you could get a discounted price on car insurance if you buy auto and life insurance together.
- Discounts for Safe Drivers – Drivers who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more compared to accident prone drivers.
- Driver Safety – Passing a class that teaches safe driver techniques could earn you a small percentage discount depending on where you live.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Just owning your own home can get you a discount because owning a home demonstrates responsibility.
- Policy Bundle Discount – If you can combine your homeowners and auto policy and insure them both with the same insurance company you may earn nearly 15% which can help you find inexpensive Toyota Yaris iA insurance in Baltimore.
- Payment Method – By paying your policy upfront instead of making monthly payments you can avoid monthly service charges.
- Anti-theft System – Cars and trucks equipped with anti-theft or alarm systems prevent vehicle theft and will qualify for a discount on a Baltimore auto insurance quote.
You should keep in mind that many deductions do not apply to the entire cost. Most only cut the cost of specific coverages such as physical damage coverage or medical payments. So even though they make it sound like having all the discounts means you get insurance for free, insurance companies aren’t that generous. But all discounts will definitely lower your overall bill.
If you would like to view companies that can offer you the previously mentioned discounts in Maryland, click here to view.
Local insurance agents
Many people would rather get advice from a local agent and that can be a great decision Professional insurance agents are highly skilled in risk management and give you someone to call. A good thing about getting free rate quotes online is the fact that you can find the best rates and still have an agent to talk to.
Upon completion of this simple form, the quote information is instantly submitted to companies in Baltimore who will gladly provide quotes to get your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to search for an agent since price quotes are sent to the email address you provide. In the event you want to compare prices for a specific company, feel free to search and find their rate quote page to submit a rate quote request.
Finding a good insurer should include more criteria than just the bottom line cost. The answers to these questions are important, too.
- Do they have advanced training designations such as CPCU, AAI, AIC, or CIC?
- Will you be dealing directly with the agent or with a Custom Service Representative (CSR)?
- Is their price quote a firm figure or are their hidden costs?
- How would your car be valued if totaled?
- What insurance companies do they recommend if they are an independent agent?
- Will the company cover a rental car if your car is getting fixed?
- Are claim adjusters local or do you have to take your car somewhere else?
Types of auto insurance agents
If you are wanting to find a local agent, it helps to know the two types of insurance agents and how they function. Agencies in Baltimore are categorized either exclusive or independent agents depending on their company appointments. Either one can provide insurance policies, but it’s worth mentioning the differences because it can influence the selection process.
Exclusive Insurance Agents
Exclusive agents generally can only insure with one company and some examples include American Family, State Farm, and Allstate. These agents are unable to compare other company’s rates so they have to upsell other benefits. Exclusive agents receive extensive training on their company’s products which helps them sell insurance even at higher premiums. Consumers often purchase coverage from exclusives mainly due to high brand loyalty instead of buying on price only.
Listed below is a list of exclusive agents in Baltimore willing to provide rate quotes.
- Aja Green – State Farm Insurance Agent
7635 Belair Rd – Baltimore, MD 21236 – (410) 882-9433 – View Map
- Mindy Andreychek – State Farm Insurance Agent
8502 Harford Rd Ste B – Baltimore, MD 21234 – (410) 668-7600 – View Map
- Joe Lawton – State Farm Insurance Agent
9008 Harford Rd – Baltimore, MD 21234 – (410) 665-0243 – View Map
Independent Agents (or Brokers)
Agents that elect to be independent do not write with just one company so they can write business amongst many companies and find the cheapest insurance rates. If they quote lower rates, they simply switch companies in-house and that require little work on your part. If you are comparing rate quotes, you should always get insurance quotes from at a minimum one independent agency to have the best price comparison. Most have the option of insuring with less well-known companies that may have much lower rates than larger companies.
Shown below are independent agents in Baltimore that can give you rate quotes.
- Goad Insurance Agency
3229 Erdman Ave – Baltimore, MD 21213 – (410) 558-0396 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Robert Frank Stastny
6822 Harford Rd – Baltimore, MD 21234 – (410) 254-1500 – View Map
- Nationwide Insurance: Rodgers Insurance Agency Inc
6800 Holabird Ave a – Baltimore, MD 21222 – (410) 282-1379 – View Map
When do I need an agent’s advice?
When it comes to buying your policy for your personal vehicles, there really is no “perfect” insurance plan. Coverage needs to be tailored to your specific needs.
These are some specific questions can help discover whether or not you might need professional guidance.
- Can I afford to buy a different vehicle if my Toyota Yaris iA is totaled?
- What is an umbrella policy?
- What does medical payments cover?
- Am I covered if I hit a deer?
- I don’t drive much so do I pay less?
- Can I afford to pay high deductible claims out of pocket?
If you’re not sure about those questions but you know they apply to you, then you may want to think about talking to a licensed agent. If you want to speak to an agent in your area, fill out this quick form. It’s fast, doesn’t cost anything and can help protect your family.
Car insurance is an important decision
Even though Baltimore Yaris iA insurance rates can get expensive, insuring your vehicle is mandatory in Maryland but it also protects more than you think.
First, almost all states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means you are required to buy specific limits of liability coverage in order to license the vehicle. In Maryland these limits are 30/60/15 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
Second, if you bought your Yaris iA with a loan, more than likely the lender will require you to buy insurance to ensure the loan is repaid in case of a total loss. If you do not pay your insurance premiums, the bank may buy a policy for your Toyota at a much higher premium rate and make you pay the higher premium.
Third, car insurance protects not only your Toyota Yaris iA but also your assets. It also can pay for all forms of medical expenses incurred in an accident. Liability coverage, the one required by state law, also covers legal expenses if you are named as a defendant in an auto accident. If damage is caused by hail or an accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of insuring your Yaris iA more than cancel out the cost, particularly for liability claims. The average driver in Maryland overpays as much as $800 each year so compare rates once a year at a minimum to ensure rates are inline.
Insurance policy coverages for a Toyota Yaris iA
Understanding the coverages of insurance can be of help when determining the right coverages and proper limits and deductibles. Insurance terms can be difficult to understand and coverage can change by endorsement.
Liability – Liability coverage can cover damage or injury you incur to other people or property that is your fault. Liability coverage has three limits: per person bodily injury, per accident bodily injury, and a property damage limit. You might see values of 30/60/15 that translate to a limit of $30,000 per injured person, a total of $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and a limit of $15,000 paid for damaged property.
Liability can pay for claims like bail bonds, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, legal defense fees and pain and suffering. How much liability should you purchase? That is your choice, but buy as large an amount as possible. Maryland requires minimum liability limits of 30/60/15 but you should think about purchasing more coverage.
The chart below shows why low liability limits may not provide adequate coverage.
Comprehensive protection – This will pay to fix damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. You first must pay your deductible then your comprehensive coverage will pay.
Comprehensive coverage pays for things such as vandalism, a broken windshield and damage from a tornado or hurricane. The highest amount your insurance company will pay is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low consider removing comprehensive coverage.
Medical expense coverage – Coverage for medical payments and/or PIP pay for expenses such as funeral costs, prosthetic devices, nursing services and doctor visits. The coverages can be used to fill the gap from your health insurance program or if you do not have health coverage. Coverage applies to you and your occupants and also covers any family member struck as a pedestrian. PIP is not available in all states and may carry a deductible
Collision coverage – Collision insurance pays for damage to your Yaris iA resulting from colliding with a stationary object or other vehicle. You first must pay a deductible then the remaining damage will be paid by your insurance company.
Collision insurance covers things like hitting a mailbox, colliding with a tree, damaging your car on a curb and rolling your car. Paying for collision coverage can be pricey, so analyze the benefit of dropping coverage from lower value vehicles. Drivers also have the option to increase the deductible on your Yaris iA in order to get cheaper collision rates.
Uninsured or underinsured coverage – Your UM/UIM coverage provides protection from other motorists when they either are underinsured or have no liability coverage at all. It can pay for injuries sustained by your vehicle’s occupants as well as damage to your Toyota Yaris iA.
Due to the fact that many Maryland drivers only carry the minimum required liability limits (30/60/15), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages is a good idea.
Frequent quotes can save
We’ve covered a lot of techniques to reduce Toyota Yaris iA insurance rates online in Baltimore. The key concept to understand is the more rate comparisons you have, the better chance you’ll have of finding affordable Toyota Yaris iA insurance quotes. Consumers could even find that the best rates are with some of the lesser-known companies.
As you go through the steps to switch your coverage, don’t be tempted to buy lower coverage limits just to save a few bucks. In too many instances, an accident victim reduced liability limits or collision coverage only to regret that the few dollars in savings costed them thousands. Your aim should be to buy enough coverage at the best cost, but do not sacrifice coverage to save money.
Drivers switch companies for a variety of reasons including questionable increases in premium, extreme rates for teen drivers, denial of a claim or unfair underwriting practices. Whatever your reason, choosing a new company is not as difficult as it may seem.
Much more information about insurance in Maryland can be read at the links below
- Older Drivers FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much is Auto Insurance for Drivers Requiring a SR22 in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Rates for a Nissan Sentra in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Seniors in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Baltimore Car Insurance Rates for 19 Year Olds? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Auto Insurance for Good Students in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Auto Insurance Rates for Drivers Under 21 in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Car Insurance Quotes for 4×4 Vehicles in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- State Car Insurance Guides (GEICO)
- Eight Auto Insurance Myths (Insurance Information Institute)