It takes a few minutes, but the best way to find the cheapest price for auto insurance rates in Baltimore is to compare prices regularly from providers in Maryland.
- Step 1: Take a few minutes and learn about how companies price auto insurance and the measures you can control to prevent rate increases. Many rating factors that cause high rates like your driving record and a less-than-favorable credit score can be remedied by making lifestyle changes or driving safer. This article provides ideas to help keep rates affordable and find more discounts that you may not know about.
- Step 2: Compare prices from independent agents, exclusive agents, and direct companies. Direct companies and exclusive agencies can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO and State Farm, while agents who are independent can provide rate quotes from multiple insurance companies.
- Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if cheaper MKX coverage is available. If you find a lower rate quote, make sure there is no lapse in coverage.
- Step 4: Tell your current agent or company to cancel your current car insurance policy and submit payment and a completed application for the new policy. Once the paperwork is finalized, store the proof of insurance certificate along with the vehicle’s registration papers.
One tip to remember is that you use the same deductibles and limits on each quote request and to quote with as many different insurance providers as possible. This provides an accurate price comparison and a thorough price selection.
It’s hard to fathom, but a large majority of drivers have bought auto insurance from the same company for well over three years, and virtually 40% of consumers have never compared rates to find cheap insurance. With the average premium in Maryland being $1,490, drivers can cut their rates by about 55% a year, but they just don’t understand the amount of savings they would get if they switch to a new company.
Determine discounts on Baltimore car insurance
Some insurance providers don’t always advertise all discounts very well, so we took the time to find both the well known and also the more inconspicuous discounts that you can inquire about if you buy Baltimore car insurance online.
- Accident Forgiveness – This one isn’t a discount, but some companies like Progressive, Allstate, and GEICO allow you one accident without the usual rate increase so long as you are claim-free prior to being involved in the accident.
- Military Discounts – Having a family member in the military may lower your premium rates slightly.
- Discount for Home Ownership – Simply owning a home may trigger a policy discount on car insurance due to the fact that maintaining a home shows financial diligence.
- Driver Safety – Successfully completing a course teaching defensive driver skills could possibly earn you a 5% discount and easily recoup the cost of the course.
- Discount for Swiching Early – A few car insurance companies allow discounts for renewing your policy early. Ten percent is about the average savings.
- Low Miles Discount – Maintaining low annual mileage could qualify for lower car insurance rates due to less chance of an accident.
- Student Discounts – Getting good grades can be rewarded with saving of up to 25%. The discount lasts well after school through age 25.
Don’t be shocked that most discount credits are not given to the entire cost. Most only cut specific coverage prices like medical payments or collision. Even though it appears all those discounts means the company will pay you, it just doesn’t work that way.
The diagram below shows the difference between Lincoln MKX insurance rates with and without discounts applied to the policy premium. The rate quotes are based on a female driver, no claims, a clean driving record, Maryland state minimum liability limits, comp and collision included, and $500 deductibles. The first bar for each age group shows premium with no discounts. The second shows the rates with claim-free, multi-car, safe-driver, marriage, homeowner, and multi-policy discounts applied.
Large car insurance companies and some of their more popular discounts are outlined below.
- GEICO may offer discounts for five-year accident-free, seat belt use, multi-vehicle, emergency military deployment, membership and employees, and multi-policy.
- USAA may have discounts that include defensive driver, military installation, multi-vehicle, annual mileage, and family discount.
- Progressive offers premium reductions for online signing, online quote discount, good student, multi-vehicle, and homeowner.
- American Family has discounts for mySafetyValet, air bags, defensive driver, good driver, and good student.
- Esurance discounts include anti-lock brakes, homeowner, emergency road assistance, online quote, anti-theft, and multi-policy.
- Farmers Insurance includes discounts for youthful driver, business and professional, pay in full, alternative fuel, and bundle discounts.
- State Farm offers discounts for safe vehicle, good driver, Steer Clear safe driver discount, passive restraint, multiple policy, and accident-free.
If you need affordable Lincoln MKX insurance quotes, ask all the companies which discounts you qualify for. Some credits may not be offered in your state. For a list of providers that offer the discounts shown above in Maryland, click this link.
The quickest way to compare car insurance company rates for Lincoln MKX insurance in Baltimore utilizes the fact most insurance companies have advanced systems to give free rates quotes. To begin a comparison, all you need to do is spend a couple of minutes providing details including how much coverage you want, whether you drive to work or school, the type of vehicles you drive, and driver ages. That rating data gets sent immediately to multiple companies and you should receive rate quotes instantly.
If you would like to compare rates now, click here and enter the information requested.
The providers in the list below have been selected to offer price quotes in Baltimore, MD. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit two to three different companies to get the best price comparison.
The price information shown below outlines estimates of insurance costs for Lincoln MKX models. Being able to understand how rates are determined can help drivers make smart choices when buying a car insurance policy.
|Model||Comp||Collision||Liability||Medical||UM/UIM||Annual Premium||Monthly Premium|
|Get Your Own Custom Quote Go|
Data based on married female driver age 30, no speeding tickets, no at-fault accidents, $100 deductibles, and Maryland minimum liability limits. Discounts applied include claim-free, multi-policy, safe-driver, multi-vehicle, and homeowner. Prices do not factor in zip code location which can influence auto insurance rates greatly.
Insurance rates by gender and age
The example below illustrates the difference between Lincoln MKX auto insurance rates for male and female drivers. The rates are based on a clean driving record, no claims, comp and collision included, $500 deductibles, single marital status, and no discounts are applied.
Should you buy full coverage?
The example below shows the comparison of Lincoln MKX insurance costs with full physical damage coverage compared to only buying the minimum liability limits required in Maryland. The information is based on no claims or driving citations, $1,000 deductibles, single status, and no discounts are applied.
When to drop comprehensive and collision
There is no specific rule for phasing out comprehensive and collision coverage on your policy, but there is a broad guideline. If the annual cost of your full coverage insurance is more than about 10% of the settlement you would receive from your company, then you might want to think about dropping full coverage.
For example, let’s pretend your Lincoln MKX replacement cost is $9,000 and you have $1,000 physical damage deductibles. If your vehicle is severely damaged, the most you would get paid by your company is $8,000 after the deductible is paid. If you are currently paying more than $800 a year for your policy with full coverage, then you may need to consider dropping full coverage.
There are some conditions where dropping full coverage is not in your best interest. If you still have a lienholder on your title, you have to carry full coverage in order to prevent your loan from defaulting. Also, if you can’t afford to buy a different vehicle if your current one is in an accident, you should not consider dropping full coverage.
Your car insurance coverage should be tailored to you
When it comes to buying coverage online or from an agent for your vehicles, there isn’t really a one size fits all plan. Everyone’s situation is unique.
Here are some questions about coverages that may help you determine if your insurance needs could use an agent’s help.
- If my car is totaled with they pay enough to replace it?
- Is there coverage for my trailer?
- Can my teen driver be rated on a liability-only vehicle?
- Am I covered if I back into my garage door?
- When should I not buy collision coverage?
- Should I sign the liability waiver when renting a car?
- Are there any extra discounts I can get?
- Does medical payments coverage apply to all occupants?
If you’re not sure about those questions but one or more may apply to you then you might want to talk to an agent. To find an agent in your area, simply complete this short form.
Buying from insurance agents
A lot of people just want to sit down and talk to an agent and there is nothing wrong with that. The best thing about comparing rates online is you may find cheap rate quotes and also buy local.
After completing this short form, the quote information is emailed to participating agents in Baltimore who will give you bids for your business. It simplifies rate comparisons since you won’t have to contact any insurance agencies since rate quotes are delivered to you instantly. You can find better rates and an insurance agent to talk to. If for some reason you want to get a rate quote from one company in particular, feel free to go to their quote page and complete a quote there.
Deciding on a company requires more thought than just a cheap quote. A good agent in Baltimore will have answers to these questions.
- How many years have they been established?
- Can they help ensure a fair claim settlement?
- Is there a 24/7 contact number?
- If independent agents, which companies do they recommend?
- Will you work with the agent or an assistant?
If you are searching for local Baltimore agents, you should know the types of agencies that you can select. Car insurance agents can be categorized as either exclusive or independent.
Exclusive Car Insurance Agents
Agents in the exclusive channel normally can only provide a single company’s rates and some examples include Farmers Insurance, Allstate, or State Farm. Exclusive agents cannot provide rate quotes from other companies so if the price isn’t competitive there isn’t much they can do. Exclusive insurance agents receive a lot of sales training on their company’s products which can be an advantage.
Shown below are exclusive insurance agents in Baltimore that are able to give price quote information.
Independent Car Insurance Agencies
Agents that elect to be independent are not restricted to one company so they can write business with multiple insurance companies and help determine which has the cheapest rates. If you want to switch companies, the business is moved internally which requires no work on your part.
When comparing car insurance rates, you need to compare quotes from at least one independent agent so that you have a good selection of quotes to compare.
The following is a list of independent insurance agencies in Baltimore who can help you get comparison quotes.
Why do I need car insurance?
Despite the high insurance cost for a Lincoln MKX in Baltimore, insurance is not optional due to several reasons.
- Most states have mandatory insurance requirements which means it is punishable by state law to not carry a specific minimum amount of liability insurance in order to be legal. In Maryland these limits are 30/60/15 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $15,000 of property damage coverage.
- If your vehicle has a lienholder, most banks will stipulate that you have comprehensive coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If coverage lapses or is canceled, the lender may insure your Lincoln at a much higher premium rate and require you to pay for it.
- Insurance safeguards not only your vehicle but also your assets. It will also cover medical expenses for yourself as well as anyone injured by you. One policy coverage, liability insurance, also pays for attorney fees and expenses if anyone sues you for causing an accident. If mother nature or an accident damages your car, comprehensive and collision coverage will pay to have it repaired.
The benefits of carrying adequate insurance definitely exceed the cost, particularly for liability claims. Today the average American driver overpays more than $869 every year so you should quote your policy with other companies each time the policy renews to make sure the price is not too high.
Car insurance 101
Knowing the specifics of a insurance policy can be of help when determining which coverages you need for your vehicles. Policy terminology can be impossible to understand and reading a policy is terribly boring.
Uninsured and underinsured coverage
Your UM/UIM coverage protects you and your vehicle when the “other guys” do not carry enough liability coverage. This coverage pays for medical payments for you and your occupants as well as damage to your Lincoln MKX.
Since a lot of drivers only purchase the least amount of liability that is required (30/60/15), their liability coverage can quickly be exhausted. For this reason, having high UM/UIM coverages should not be overlooked.
This protects you from damage that occurs to other people or property by causing an accident. This insurance protects YOU from claims by other people. It does not cover your injuries or vehicle damage.
It consists of three limits, bodily injury for each person, bodily injury for the entire accident, and a limit for property damage. You commonly see liability limits of 30/60/15 that translate to a limit of $30,000 per injured person, a per accident bodily injury limit of $60,000, and $15,000 of coverage for damaged property.
Liability can pay for claims like structural damage, repair bills for other people’s vehicles, court costs and medical services. How much liability coverage do you need? That is your choice, but buy as high a limit as you can afford. Maryland requires drivers to carry at least 30/60/15 but drivers should carry higher limits.
The chart below shows why buying low liability limits may not provide adequate coverage.
This coverage will pay to fix damage OTHER than collision with another vehicle or object. A deductible will apply and the remainder of the damage will be paid by comprehensive coverage.
Comprehensive coverage protects against things like damage from flooding, a tree branch falling on your vehicle, hitting a bird and falling objects. The highest amount a insurance company will pay at claim time is the ACV or actual cash value, so if the vehicle’s value is low it’s not worth carrying full coverage.
Collision insurance covers damage to your MKX caused by collision with a stationary object or other vehicle. You have to pay a deductible and then insurance will cover the remainder.
Collision coverage protects against things like sideswiping another vehicle, rolling your car, colliding with a tree and driving through your garage door. Collision coverage makes up a good portion of your premium, so you might think about dropping it from lower value vehicles. It’s also possible to increase the deductible on your MKX to bring the cost down.
Coverage for medical payments
Medical payments and Personal Injury Protection insurance provide coverage for expenses like ambulance fees, rehabilitation expenses and hospital visits. They can be used in conjunction with a health insurance policy or if you do not have health coverage. Coverage applies to you and your occupants as well as getting struck while a pedestrian. PIP is only offered in select states but can be used in place of medical payments coverage
Persistence pays off
Low-cost Lincoln MKX insurance in Baltimore can be sourced on the web in addition to many Baltimore insurance agents, so you need to quote Baltimore car insurance with both in order to have the best chance of saving money. Some insurance providers do not provide online rate quotes and usually these smaller companies only sell through independent insurance agencies.
We just showed you a lot of information how to get a better price on Lincoln MKX insurance in Baltimore. The key concept to understand is the more providers you compare, the more likely it is that you will get a better rate. You may even discover the best price on insurance is with an unexpected company.
Consumers who switch companies do it for a variety of reasons including delays in paying claims, policy non-renewal, lack of trust in their agent and poor customer service. Regardless of your reason, choosing a new company is not as hard as you think.
Much more information about insurance in Maryland is available on the following sites:
- Prepare your Teens for Safe Driving (InsureUonline.org)
- How Much is Baltimore Car Insurance for a Company Car? (FAQ)
- Who Has Affordable Baltimore Auto Insurance for Veterans? (FAQ)
- What Car Insurance is Cheapest for Safe Drivers in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Who Has the Cheapest Auto Insurance for 16 Year Olds in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Who Has Cheap Car Insurance Rates for a Hyundai Elantra in Baltimore? (FAQ)
- Think You’re a Safe Driver? (State Farm)
- Determining Auto Insurance Rates (GEICO)
- Event Data Recorders FAQ (iihs.org)
- How Much Auto Coverage do I Need? (Insurance Information Institute)